First song done; what important features am I not employing?

HansenDavis

Fellow Logic Pro X-ers,

I just started using Logic a couple days ago and have a rough draft of a song that I am working on. It is a video-game song, as I enjoy video game soundtracks a lot (particularly old-school SNES RPG music from the 90's). :mrgreen: It repeats twice. I might add or change a part before it is finished, and am going to have it loop with no definite end.

I'm having fun learning on my own as I go, and although I believe I have picked up a lot in the short time I have been composing I am sure there are many important basic features that I am not employing in this song that would save me time or make the song sound better. :oops:

Also, I also probably could have picked better instruments for sections - there are so many choices that I was feeling a little overwhelmed! I basically went with instruments which sounded okay to my ear.

So, I would appreciate if you guys were to point out anything in the composition of the song that sticks out - for example, any vital logic features I am not employing which would add to this song (and future songs), or anything else sound-wise that might improve the effectiveness and quality of the song. I don't think I should worry too much about picking up any advanced features at this point, but if there is anything that sticks out as a particularly egregious oversight or error I would appreciate if were to you let me know. I don't want to start any bad habits :roll:

Ack! I'll post that too :oops:

I just tried bouncing (first time!) and converted the session into an mp3 - the site doesn't seem to be letting me upload mp3's though - do I need to make a sound cloud account or upload to youtube, or is there a format acceptable to upload to this forum? :idea:

Hey, that's pretty decent for having just started with Logic a couple of days ago!

Two things that you might consider adding to this piece.....

One, a bit of reverb here and there. It all sounds fairly dry. You could try one verb for the horns, another for the strings for example. Or have a master reverb for all instruments to make them sound like they're in the same space. Also try different levels for different instruments. Logic's Space Designer reverb has some excellent presets for all kinds of uses.

The other thing is to get some kind of shaping of the notes happening. As it stands, once a sound starts, whether it's strings or horns, it tends to keep going in a "staright line" kind of way. If you're going to be using orchestral sounds, it's a good idea to figure out ways of having the note rise and fall, or start loud and get quiet, crescendo and so on, to create a more expressive effect.

You can do this simply through volume automation or by assigning relative volume (In the EXS matrix) to the mod wheel or some other controller if the modwheel has already been conscripted for other duties, like sample switching.

@HansenDavis

I uploaded your version to Soundcloud so people here can easily listen to your song. I put some more ”bass” in the song (but the song is lacking the ”mids” like a string ensemble or a piano. I also added some plugins and a bit of reverb ... and yes I did change the snare-drum :)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/buc021/scaling-the-mountains[/soundcloud]

Hey Buc, thanks! I think those are cool additions to the song. I'll get around to making a SoundCloud account soon, and try to make a more complete version of my song :oops:

By the way, would you mind linking your updated logic file so I could see how you tinkered with the track behind the scenes?

@HansenDavis

I uploaded your version to Soundcloud so people here can easily listen to your song. I put some more ”bass” in the song (but the song is lacking the ”mids” like a string ensemble or a piano. I also added some plugins and a bit of reverb ... and yes I did change the snare-drum :)

Boy oh boy Buckyboy. You certainly take a lot of liberties. It was one thing to upload HansenD's song to SoundCloud without permission but changing it as well? :shock:

Hey Buc, thanks! I think those are cool additions to the song. I'll get around to making a SoundCloud account soon, and try to make a more complete version of my song :oops:

By the way, would you mind linking your updated logic file so I could see how you tinkered with the track behind the scenes?

I could, but I used a number of 3rd party plugins (mostly Waves and the MAAG EQ4). I can upload the Logic file, but if you don't have these plugins,it won't work on your system.

You guys are right; I was probably naive in posting the logic file, and have removed it. I'm new to all this, and never really considered ulterior motives.

In any case, I'm sure Buc was just trying to help since I don't have a soundcloud account yet. Maybe I'm too trusting, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Phew... I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in some way and jade me to the whole experience :|

Okay, I've created my own sound cloud account. I put my original version up, and will up updating it + adding more songs from time to time 8)

Wait, how do I get the song to show on this site? :idea: Here's the direct link:

Like this HansenDavis:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

When you're posting, simply click the SoundCloud button that is below the Subject line and above the Body (text window) then paste your URL (link) for the SoundCloud song that you want to post in between the two bracketed SoundCloud words.

When you're Logged-in you can click "quote" on my post to see how it looks.

Archived