Using my home theatre 5.1 with logic?

d4funky1

Hi,

I am doing a 5.1 project at uni and since the only 5.1 set up I have at home is my home theatre I wondered if it was possible to connect and use Logic Pro X with it?

Essentially all my devices (blu ray, sky, wii etc) are connected to the tv with then use digital optical out to the home theatre.

If I were to connect my MacBook to the tv via HDMI (I have the connector) would this then sed the audio through the digital out and in 5.1 as per the others?

The more I write this the more it makes sense that it would and I should just try it. But if anyone knows in advance it would be great to here.

Many Thanks

D4

Hi,

Just to confirm that I am still within the project.

So essentially i have 16 tracks all with output set to surround. Which I want to be able the rear left in isolation etc etc.

I have connected the macbook to the tv via HDMI and although I am getting sound through the surround, when I solo a channel and move the surround panning round sound essentially stays in the front.

I wonder If I should connect the macbook to the samsung surround receiver instead?

Thanks

I wonder If I should connect the macbook to the samsung surround receiver instead?

That won't change the fact that you'd first have to encode your bounced file (as previously suggested). To Logic, a 5.1 surround signal is 6 individual audio signals. To your home theater, it's an encoded 2 channel file. So it's not possible to mix surround live with such a home theater system. All you can do is bounce 6 audio files from Logic and use a software such as Compressor to encode those 6 files into a 2-channel surround-encoded file that your home theater can recognize and split again into 6 individual channels for the 6 connected speakers.

To mix in 5.1 surround, you need an audio interface with 6 outputs, a 6 channel audio amplifier, and 6 individual speaker monitors.

Thanks for the info so far.

I can't figure out how to update my signature but my home studio set up consists of

Presonus Firestudio Project

Alesis 3630

Ensoniq DP4

2 x monitors

For the sake of a project I didn't really want to shell out for a further 3 monitors and a sub unless anyone can recommend a budget system that would accomplish this - and I am talking BUDGET £100 max

Thanks again

D4

Archived