Trying to create region of exact bar length [SOLVED]

andyxr

Hi all,

I'm working on a remix.

I've brought in an audio file.

I set the loop locators to exactly 8 bars.

I then trim the audio file using the locators expecting to get a shiny new region of exactly 8 bars.

Instead I get a region that is some small amount shorter than 8 bars.

Any ideas why this happens? Does the snap resolution make a difference?

And supplement to this question, is there any way of padding out an audio region to fit an exact number of bars/beats etc? I know this would involve putting silence at the end, but that's fine with me.

I've tried sending the output of the audio track to a bus, then creating a new audio track with its input set to the same bus and then recording the output of the audio into the new track (with loop locators set to 8 bars). However, the resulting new audio track still has few than 8 bars' worth of audio in it. Confused!

Regards,

Andy

Logic Pro X 10.0.6

OSX Mountain Lion

iMac 2008 4Gb

And supplement to this question, is there any way of padding out an audio region to fit an exact number of bars/beats etc? I know this would involve putting silence at the end, but that's fine with me.

Don't know about the first question but with this, just put the region in a folder. You can loop the folder.

I have had similar trouble with the snap settings, i.e. trying looping exact numbers of beats. in LP9 I used 'smart' snap and never found a problem, whatever magnification I was on on the 'arrange (now MAIN) window.. but this LPX doesn't act like is used to so I generally use BEAT. - HOWEVER, selecting what looks like 4 bars is often 3 3 3 237 or something else unintended, so that smooth loop you were overdubbing over now has a wrinkle in time. I'd like confirmation from those who KNOW that this is a bug and there are plans to fix it. Hmmm. Work was (is) easier in LP9.

Dave, there's no bug (that I know of) that makes a 4 0 0 0 selection turn into a 3 3 3 237 selection. However there's an issue with getting a selection to be exact because at some tempos the sample/tick relationship may break down turning a 4 0 0 0 selection into a 4 0 0 0. selection (notice the dot after the last 0). I've discussed this in an older thread. Hopefully that helps.