LPX Velocity Compression bug? [SOLVED]

Dragonwind

Hi all,

What I relied on in LP9 was the ability to compress/expand velocities in the Piano Roll editor but selecting the notes, then click-hold-drag up or down on the values in the MIDI draw area. Now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes all I get is the green line. It appears others are having this issue. Some are only able to raise/lower the values and never get the compression.

Any others with this experience and any workarounds?

Chris

I tried your file. I have to amend my previous comment:

The consistent behavior is:

- I get a green line if I first click outside the velocity nodes corresponding to the selected notes (before the first node or after the first node).

- I compress/expand velocities if I first click after the node corresponding to the first selected note AND before the node corresponding to the last selected note.

I think I figured it out. The start of the note is the key. If you are too close to a note-on it will just increase/decrease. If you click in-between a cluster of note starts it will compress/expand. If you are outside the range of note starts it will draw the green line (holding Command i believe will scale instead).

What was the issue is if you just select the 1st triad only you have to zoom way in for Logic to register you aren't clicking on a note directly.

Chris

I think I figured it out. The start of the note is the key. If you are too close to a note-on it will just increase/decrease. If you click in-between a cluster of note starts it will compress/expand.

Ok that's correct.

What was the issue is if you just select the 1st triad only you have to zoom way in for Logic to register you aren't clicking on a note directly.

Ah yes I can see how it would be difficult to click in between velocity nodes when the selected notes are so close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is 'sort-of' solved. I am working on an ambient project now and still have to find work-arounds for this issue. It seems works than previous versions. It isn't that it doesn't work...it will but you have to be VERY precise in you zoom level and where you click. Most of the time now it just wants to raise or lower the velocity #'s.

This was compounded by a new issue where I selected a range of notes (lower ones in this case) to compress their velocities and it also compressed the sus-pdl data along with it.. Other weirdness is regions moving randomly and notes jumping in length after editing because it didn't notice I had released the mouse button. All these issues occur while in the Piano Roll editor. The rest of LPX is pretty rocking but as a composer this is tap-dancing on my last nerve.

Chris

I think I figured it out. The start of the note is the key. If you are too close to a note-on it will just increase/decrease. If you click in-between a cluster of note starts it will compress/expand. If you are outside the range of note starts it will draw the green line (holding Command i believe will scale instead).

Chris

This is very interesting! I'm still on LP9 but all of this behaviour is exactly the same in LP9. However, I was never aware of this method of expansion/compression for velocity, so for me this is a great new tool. Thanks!

Regarding zooming, I'd suggest simply using the magnify function to quickly "open up" a tight cluster of notes in the editor. Like yourself, as I was exploring this new technique, I was also getting the green line until I realized I had to click between the nodes, not before or after the selection. However, for me the zoom level is not as picky as what you seem to be experiencing, as long as I can have enough space to click between the first and last heads of the velocity "pins". And it doesn't seem to matter how far above or below the velocity nodes that I click to do the expansion/compression, which makes this very easy here.

As for the sus pedal being compressed, that's an odd one, if it's regular sustain, which is either on or off and therefor not compressible. The other weirdness you experience, of course I can't comment on since it's LPX.