Logic Pro X + Axiom AIR = Crash

Greets:

I am one upset mofo, at the moment.

Today in the mail came the Axiom AIR 25 to replace my Axiom 49 (2nd Gen). I wanted something smaller to fit within the workstation area that I have.

So I went ahead and first updated the firmware, and then attempted to install the OS X driver (I'm running Mavericks 10.9.1) in Logic (10.0.6). As I was attempting to complete the setup in the Control Surfaces area, Logic crashed. When I reopened the application, the Control Surface box was empty, including the two other controllers (Logic Remote and my Tascam Fireone). I was already not happy about the crash, but the missing goods just added insult to injury.

Going forward, the crash would repeat whenever I attempt to add the Axiom AIR. Right now, in terms of using it with Logic, the keyboard might was well be a giant brick, which it is right now.

Has anyone else experienced this? I posted messages with both the Apple Community and emailed M-Audio. I'm hoping that a resolution is in sight.

Thanks for reading,

Velanche

I actually tried that method last night....or at least I think I may have followed it to the letter, but there's a chance that I might have missed a thing or two. While the driver was found, Hypercontrol wasn't available in either the MIDI in or MIDI out list for the device in Logic.

After I read the manual to find out more on what should be displayed, I'll try again.

Thanks for the reply.

V.

Supposedly, the method works. In my case, it only sorta worked.

For one thing, Hypercontrol is not an option in either Input or Output port in Control Surfaces--->Setup. I have MIDI, Control, and ports 1-3 for Input, and MIDI, Control, and ports 1-2 for the output. I left Output on All and Input on Any. The driver was accepted without any crashes.

Otherwise, despite others claiming that they are able to use their knobs, buttons, faders, etc., they are ineffective (as expected, since Hypercontrol was not chosen since it wasn't an option). I've gone so far as downgrading the firmware, and also doing a factory reset on the device, but no change.

So, so, so frustrating. Imma gonna give up on this piece if I can't sort it out within a few days.

Still trying, though....

V.

So, can you at least get the AxiomAIR device to show up in your control surfaces setup window? Try going to the New menu and choose (with your Axiom already plugged in) Scan All Models. If that doesn't do it, try doing it manually by choosing "Install..." from the same menu and select the AxiomAIR device manually.

J.

Just tried the suggestion; Hyipercontrol still does not show up.

I can't for the life of me figure out why it's not an option; I have a feeling that if I can overcome that, then things should (more or less) work. I'm just not seeing it, other than the possibility that maybe it might not work with Mavericks. But at this stage, I'm willing to entertain anything.

V.

It does show up on the list, and I'm able to install it manually. But Hypercontrol itself is missing as a port option.

On the amber screen of the Axiom AIR, it lists the name of the selected track lane, has the number 1 with the Hypercontrol logo, among other info.

So there's that.

V.

I am a bit too tired to do a comprehensive check, but I think I resolved it.

All of what I've seen with regards to Apple's Audio MIDI setup, as far as screenshots, pointed to a generic USB MIDI Device. I have a standard user account, as well as an admin account. For the hell of it, I logged onto the admin account....lo and behold, it displayed Axiom AIR 25, complete with a...*gasp*...port that says "Hyp."

So I logged back onto my standard user account, opened Audio MIDI setup, and deleted the icon once I turned off/unplug the USB cable. But each time the controller was re-engaged, the USB MIDI Device driver would reappear. I knew there had to be a way to force Axiom AIR 25 to appear.

At this stage, I went to M-Audio's Knowledge Base to look for more specific info on Audio MIDI Setup for its products, and the answer was part of this FAQ query:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=e3b32ccf8b9f32387cd32f1ba3635408

Specifically, I followed the directions on creating a new configuration in AMS. Once this was created, the Axiom AIR 25 was found.

Because of this, I went back to Setup in Control Surfaces, deleted and readded Axiom AIR, and sure enough Hypercontrol was available for both ports.

I then did a quick test by firing the play button on the transport control, and also turned one of the knobs to control the selected track's volume, and indeed it moved.

I will try more tomorrow, but I think I finally have it now. I'm cautiously optimistic, but feeling pretty good about persisting.

Thanks for your help; maybe this will help others, too.

V.