Help - Auto Input Monitoring & Punch-ins - not working

bobsmart567

Hi. I'm having trouble understanding auto input monitoring and punch-in recording. I made a mistake in the middle of a recording and would like to pick up recording in that area to correct it and play the song to the end. I am trying to use Quick punch to do this. I have Auto Input monitoring enabled and have unchecked the "I" input monitoring button on the track I want to record on. I start playback so I can hear the part of the song where the mistake occurred. I then get ready for my punch in via Record/Toggle, but the problem is I cannot hear the input device (Apogee MiC) while trying to do the punch in. I believe I have followed all the procedures, but still must be missing something because auto input monitoring isn't resulting in me being able to hear myself play. Regular input monitoring is working fine (when the "I" on the track is checked) - it's only when using punch-in and auto input monitoring that I cannot hear anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running Logic Pro X on Mavericks. Thanks!

Choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > General.

Uncheck Input monitoring only for focused track, and record-enabled tracks.

OMG! That fixes it. Nice one!

But you have to ask, why is there even such an option, and why is it the default?

PS

It's actually Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices

It's actually Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices

Thanks. I corrected my post.

But you have to ask, why is there even such an option, and why is it the default?

I understand why the option is there. You can input select a bunch of tracks and only monitor through the one you have selected and the additional tracks that are armed.

What I don't get is why it is the default.

Archived