Turning down volume on all channels and sidechaining

marcuscw

Hey guys,

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while, here's the deal. I have a ghost side chain track, containing a rim shot which outputs to bus 6 and bus 6 has no output. I use it as a sidechain input.

When I want to lower the volume of the entire project, by selecting all tracks in the mixer and pulling them down a few db, should I also lower the volume of the ghost track to keep the balance? Cause now it's at 0db, I set a compressor to sidechain at -10db, but I'm about to lower the volume of the track that compressor is on, so it should probably not sidechain at -10db anymore cause that's too hard now, or should it?

...should I also lower the volume of the ghost track to keep the balance?

How does it sound?

(I would leave it alone as it is. )

Cause now it's at 0db, I set a compressor to sidechain at -10db, but I'm about to lower the volume of the track that compressor is on, so it should probably not sidechain at -10db anymore cause that's too hard now, or should it?

Is the gain reduction 10 dB or is the threshold set to -10?

Remember that you lowering the track after compression!

Leave it alone unless you are not satisfied with the sound.

Hope this helps.

Trust your ears! :D

Anyway. The dB scale is logarithmical so you don't have to worry about it. Your sound is still being processed the same. The only thing is that you are lowering the fader after the compressor. Changing your gain reduction will change the track's sound.

Now, maybe you want the compressor to work less for other reasons?