Logic Pro X and Mac Pro

I am a video producer at a University and just ordered the new Mac Pro, with FCP X 10.1.1 and Logic Pro X. The vision is to merge the video editing suite with an adjacent recording studio using the Mac Pro as the central processor for both. I have the video, the storage and connectivity issues covered, but where do I begin with regards to i/o devices that can help me build out the recording studio?

Here is the deal. The school built a recording studio 30 years ago and eventually dropped the program. I come in as their video guy and find a facility being used as storage that has a big room, isolation booths, the right flooring and contours, control room etc. Somebody actually knew what they were doing. Sort of a dream scenario for a warhorse like me. I could see recording anything from choral groups to rock bands. 15-20 inputs sound right as a starter? Its not the money, it is the compatibility, thunderbolt 2 connectivity that concerns me most.

Even for rock I would say 16 is fine to start with. It would teach your students a little bit of using what's available to them and utilizing their limitations if for some reason 16 isn't enough! :D

with that said we had a MOTU 828mk3 that worked in our uni's studio. I hear GREAT things about Apollo interfaces. RME is another really great company but you'd have to get an adaptor by Sonnet. I would stay away from focusrite because IMO they're a bad company and you don't want to get in bed with them. Heaven forbid something break they'll just tell you to order a new unit because repair is too costly =/ the jerks...

Archived