Logic Pro 9.1.8 projects crashing upon opening.

Salmo

Hi,

Logic crashes every time I try to open a couple of recently edited (restructured)projects. Even the backups crash and if I continue to try to open them I get the "black curtain of death) and have to run disk utility and repair from the Snow Leopard disk.(invalid file count and volume directory count).

I had taken a previous project and moved and/or deleted some older plugs that i wanted to replace with a "new and better" version. These included Slate Virtual console,Celemony Melodyne,McDSP compressors and EQs in this order:Celemony, Slate VCC, 630 Compressors,McDSP 606.Master bus was Slate,MC2000M and U-He Satin. I had 8 bus effects which I can't remember the names of right now but they were things i have used many times before(Can't tell without opening!)

Every saved version of the project crashes back to the original(pre-edits) which doesn't crash. I repeated the actions to see what would happened and the same happened. I can't remove items as I can't open. Most of my other programs are fine except for one other that I followed the same basic steps to earlier and had it crash as well. I stayed away from that one ready to relegate to the trash heap. This problem came up after about 8 hours of edits!

I have crash logs and a screen shot and one copy of the project on the desktop. Any way to open this without a crash? It would save me trouble and i don't want to attempt any new edits thinking that might be wasted. I don't want to waste more time and get nothing.

(One other symptom from before this: Jim from Five12 and I worked for hours trying to figure out why Numerology 4 was crashing Logic when Numerology 4 was in rewire mode. We couldn't figure it out!)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Salmo

Mac 2x2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 8 gigs ram

828 MkII,Apogee Rosseta,Logic 9.1.8, various software programs and plugins

Open Logic by holding down Control so that you can start it without Core Audio.

Maybe you can bypass some plugins to see which one is the culprit.

You can merge some regions to simplify.

You can reduce Undo Steps. Default is 30. Maybe 10 or 5.

Are you saving the projects on a second internal drive? If not, you should definitely be doing that.

Will try that. I was going to try to rebuild using optional plugs like Metric Halo for the VCC(which I kinda suspect). I have been saving on an external LaCie 1 Terrabyte(and Time Machine, also a LaCie 1 terabyte). What should i expect to see when opening from "control"? Will the program open then? Well, i guess I'll see!..All plugs are slashed out. Is that what to expect?

Thanks

Opened with Control, reduced undo to 5, removed Slate Virtual Console, and saved. Upon reopening Slate is gone but all others are still slashed out so how do I reopen to get Core Audio back?

Wow, I somehow got the project to play by checking in and out of the internal output back to the 828. Pitch Craft was "not available". That is a 32 bit plug so i removed it. I re-added Slate and saved and when I reopened it I got the "black screen of death" telling me to shut down and restart. I had a reply to you that was wiped out.I haven't run disk utility right now but i did this morning and all was fine. The only audio thing I did all day was this.

I should add that i opened logic first then opened the previous "Slateless" Version and it works. i don't know for how long! haha I can see some work around but would like things back to the way they were. Would Logic X and Mavericks help this or would the problems just be brought along, things like the invalid file count and Invalid directory count?

I should add that i opened logic first then opened the previous "Slateless" Version and it works. i don't know for how long! haha I can see some work around but would like things back to the way they were. Would Logic X and Mavericks help this or would the problems just be brought along, things like the invalid file count and Invalid directory count?

Logic X is 64-bit, so all your 3rd party plugs should be updated to that.

Mavericks has some weird memory issues, very unpredictable at times.

Can you do a version of the song where you finalize all the tracks like you want them, create a new session, import the tracks and then add the slate stuff?

The project was working fine without the Slate things so I added some Slate back in but left 8 tracks free of Slate, saved and reopened and everything was fine. Reopened and added the 8 missing Slate tracks and got a black screen crash immediately. Frustrating! Could it be the system can't handle 16 tracks of Slate? Doesn't seem right does it?

In the crash report "com.rogueamoeba.hermes 4.1.0"is at the top of the list and again further down. I thought I had uninstalled that even on Time Machine. If it isn't there why is it still showing up in the crash report? I don't know if it has anything to do with it but it is always mentioned. I can't find any versions to trash. just a suspicion that it has something to do with it.

This is several days later and several kernel panics. I opened one of the crashing projects with the iLOK 2 containing the Slate VCC removed and there was no problem(also no Slate). The question is why does slate crash this project but not others it is used in. "It hurts when i do that doc"...."Well don't do that then!" Will just have to let this one ride and work on system crashes instead. thanks for helping Triplets!

• 5 months later...
I was getting crashes on files from another source brought into Logic. When VCC was removed no more crashes and i have used VCC since with minimal or no crashes since. I don't really know what i did to make it work but I had to open Logic with audio Units uninstalled and take out the VCC then reopen.

Archived