Autopunch/monitor input question [SOLVED]

Zardonzo

Just doing lead guitar overdubs, and I'm wondering:

a) No biggie, but I wish I could define an autopunch start-point, without defining the end-point (ie. if I make a mistake, just punch in 'till the song's over, or until I make another mistake, like the old tape days.)

b) I just want to monitor the recording channel all the time, whether I'm recording or not; if nothing's playing I can hear my signal, but as soon as I hit "play" the signal cuts out, why does this happen? Often I just want to do a few dry runs before hitting the red button. Also, if I do a punch-in there's no signal 'till I hit the "record" region, it feels unnatural and I like that few seconds to know the levels are OK (of course I can change them later, but what does muting the input accomplish?)

Thanks,

z.

Just doing lead guitar overdubs, and I'm wondering:

a) No biggie, but I wish I could define an autopunch start-point, without defining the end-point (ie. if I make a mistake, just punch in 'till the song's over, or until I make another mistake, like the old tape days.)

Either put the end point at the end of the song, or create another track assigned to the same channel strip, and record (not punch) on the new track.

b) I just want to monitor the recording channel all the time, whether I'm recording or not; if nothing's playing I can hear my signal, but as soon as I hit "play" the signal cuts out, why does this happen?

Because you have auto-input monitor selected (in the Record menu).

Either put the end point at the end of the song, or create another track assigned to the same channel strip, and record (not punch) on the new track.

It's just a matter of workflow, extending the record-region to the end works OK

Because you have auto-input monitor selected (in the Record menu).

Got it, thanks!