Logic 9 crackles and clicks.

georgerarnold

Hi,

I've searched but I can't find a post that relates quite to my situation.

I'm sorry but this will have to be quite a long winded explanation but in short I need any advice about why I'm getting intermittent crackles and clicks.

I bought a Midas venice F24 mixing console recently and whilst recording and playback I'm getting crackles and clicks. I'm in contact with Midas and they say I should send it back because it is probably a hardware problem with the firewire card or a problem with the psu. However, I just want to make certain that there could be no other cause of the problem with perhaps Logic or my computer before I send it back because they told me that if they don't find a problem then I will have to pay for the postage.

I'm using a macbook pro from late 2008 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo, 8gb of memory running 10.6.8. I'm using the latest version of Logic 9.

The problem is also there on garage band.

Normally I use a buffer size of 512 samples but the problem is still there when I increase it to 1024 although the crackles seem to be shorter in duration.

I've turned the airport off.

I've bought a brand new lacie rugged hard drive 7200rpm which I use with firewire 800.

The reason why I'm concerned that the problem could be something to do with the computer side of things is that I've also got an Apogee duet 2 and although it's very difficult to tell, some times I think I hear a mini click. And the other day I was recording a stereo source and the left side cut out a few times. I've not had a chance to test it super thoroughly but I'm doing a lot of mixing with the duet and I just get the feeling like it's dropping samples (if that's at all possible?).

I'm assuming this is some sort of clock problem is there anyway of testing the word clock connectivity of my computer? The midas is firewire and the duet is usb. If there's any more useful info, I've forgotten it.

If anyone has any ideas about what it could be other than just a problem with the mixer and me being paranoid I'd be very grateful to hear them.

Thanks.

I've had the computer for years, logic for years, I've used various different audio interfaces and I've not had this problem. I think I can tell when I'm over stretching the "capabilities" of my computer.

I've boxed the mixer up and sending it back.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I've had the computer for years, logic for years, I've used various different audio interfaces and I've not had this problem. I think I can tell when I'm over stretching the "capabilities" of my computer.

I've boxed the mixer up and sending it back.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Excuse for my trying to help.

Good call on returning the Midas.

Thanks for trying to help. Sorry for biting your head off. It's just I only come here with genuine problems and every time I get people sending me off on the wrong track. I just spent £90 on a hard drive I don't need and wasted a week waiting for it, in which time I could have sent the desk back and maybe got an answer.

It's just the frustration of having no where to turn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok. Things have moved on a lot since I last posted. I might have to make a new thread if I'm allowed.

So it has been crazy time of trying to figure out where they are coming from. Firstly the crackle and the click are two (maybe more) different things. The crackle seems to be a result of using my external hard drive daisy chained with the midas venice f24. I've resolved that issue. What I was left with was a click that happens very rarely, like once or twice an hour. So after hours and hours and days and days of testing I figured out if was only happening with 2 of my vintage neumanns that I recently bought. I've tried 3 different interfaces, an apogee duet 2 (usb), midas venice f24 and mackie onyx 1640 (both firewire). The clicks are the same on all of them. I've changed all the cables for brand new good quality ones. It seemed curious because the waveforms of the clicks were different on the u47 to the km84; the km84 always started with a vertical line where as the u47 was more mountainous. They never happened simultaneously but both happen with similar regularity. I have a mains conditioner (albeit a very cheap one) and have 2 different circuits at my house both produce the same result. I've also been to friends houses and tried with my computer and gotten the same clicks. I can even record using the km84 and the duet just from the battery of my laptop and therefor unattached to the mains altogether and I still get the same click. I've recorded using the internal hard drive and my brand new Lacie rugged 7200rpm firewire interface. oh and also an old lacie rugged. all produce the same click.

The other day I went to a different studio to test the mics and we recorded for about 2 hours with out any clicks so the problem must be something to do with my computer although It's very strange that it only happens with these 2 mics. My computer is a macbook pro late 2008 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo, 8gb memory.

Could this be a problem with logic not syncing properly with the clocks? Or something similar? Or can the computer create electrical interference somehow. I'm trying to locate my install disk 2 so I can run the apple hardware test.

It's such a weird problem and has given me something resembling a nervous breakdown. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.