Freezing Tracks in Logic X

twistiejoe

Hey guys,

need some advice: Logic X

trying to synthestrate something with 43 tracks, many of them EW Hollywood Woodwinds and multiple LASS patches in multiple instances of Kontakt, and of course my 16GB ram just ain't enough unfortunately.

So now I'm trying to FREEZE tracks (probably all the winds) so I can just do the strings first and bounce to audio. Except my computer freezes (haha....) when I try to freeze multiple tracks at once.

Do I have to freeze each track separately? Any advice?

Thanks.

Do you have your projects on a dedicated non-system drive? And are you freezing pre fader or source only?

How do you know your computer really freezes? Have you given it time ? 43 tracks of 32 bit FP audio is a LOT of audio - say 4 minutes times 43 times 21 MB (=1 minute of 32 bit 44.1 kHz stereo FP audio) = 3.6 GB of audio files that have to be written.

Comparison: that is as much as a 5 hour and 44 minutes long 'normal' audio bounce.

So, I'd expect the freezing of 43 tracks to take quite some time. Just freeze 4 of 'm, time it and multiply the result by 10 to roughly get an idea of how long it is supposed to take.

You could also get HD troubles, completely depending on the speed of your HD and its' connection - streaming 43 32 bit files simultaneously is a lot of throughput. You could also consider bouncing down some tracks ("reduction mix") instead of freezing. Or a combination of those.

Thanks Eriksimon!

I know, it's a lot, I have a separate track for all sorts of articulations. It's so hard when I think in terms of acoustic instruments and then try to re-create it electronically - headache! But I don't know how to think of music any other way!

Maybe I just need to give it time? Maybe the computer isn't really freezing? I'll try a freeze and go out for coffee now.

Anyway that's getting sidetracked ...

Can you clarify:

I run my SAMPLES off a G-RAID-0 drive ... should I run the project off another drive as well???

And the reason why I'm freezing tracks is so that I can just work on sections, THEN bounce them to audio and work on the next, as you suggest, a "reduction mix"

Right now I can't get it to play all the way through without having a system overload, so I need to freeze tracks so that I can work on one section at a time - does that makes sense???

Thanks!

Also can you answer me this -

Why is it that my computer can handle 69 tracks of separate instances of Omnisphere absolutely NO problem, but getting above 30 tracks of EastWest Hollywood Winds plus multiple instances of Kontakt, anything about 35 or so ... it struggles.

What is the difference?

Sorry for another post, but I'm still having trouble.

I think I've managed to freeze them - I froze sections of tracks, and the freeze icon is clicked (and green) on those tracks, but now when I play, I can still her them for some reason??? I'm still getting a system overload as soon as I play.

Any suggestions?

Can I "make tracks inactive" like in Pro Tools? That would be perfect here so I can just work on one section at a time and then bounce to audio! :)

Thanks.

Sorry, once again I need some help -

it seems to play now without overloading, not sure why...

But often when I go to play, it has to RE-FREEZE or something, like every second time I have play something I have to wait for it to freeze some tracks again for some reason?

What's going on - how can I stop it from doing that???

I run my SAMPLES off a G-RAID-0 drive ... should I run the project off another drive as well???

So now you're telling me that your projects are stored on your startup drive? :shock: No wonder it is bogging down. Having a separate (third) disk for projects is even more important than having a separate disk for samples. Streaming that many audio tracks from a disk that's also being used for background system tasks, is a recipe for sluggishness and rapid disk wear. So get a third disk (FireWire/Thunderbolt/USB 3/SATA - avoid USB 2) for projects (freeze files are stored in the project folder) and make sure the disk is not labeled "green".

But often when I go to play, it has to RE-FREEZE or something, like every second time I have play something I have to wait for it to freeze some tracks again for some reason?

What's going on - how can I stop it from doing that???

I think your RAM is probably full, and it needs to "park" some of its' content on your system disk, and/or retrieve other parts of its content from disk - this is called RAM paging, and it is one of the main causes of "beachballing".

Getting a separate disk for projects may well solve that. Getting an SSD in place of your system disk will probably also help a lot (since your problems are mainly diskspeed/traffic related). Upping your RAM to 24 or 32 GB will most probably also help. But start with the extra disk, see how much that helps.

Oh man.

All so complex. I think I had heard that I should run of a THIRD drive but I must have forgot about that :/

So I have another drive that plugs in via Firewire to my iMac - run the project from there?

I'll give it a go then.

I think what I'll do in the end is just make three separate sessions for each section of the orchestra and then import all the audio and mix later.

One day I'll have a whole lot of money, hopefully, and get someone to set up a really good machine that can do what I want! Hopefully lol.

Okay that helped a tiny bit, I can tell it struggles slightly less, but it's still overloading and won't play all the way through once.

I think I should consider trying to use multi-timbral instruments, also using VE Pro which I have, but I can't really work out how to set it all up, just gives me a big headache lol.

Not sure what I'm asking now just ... letting you know my problems. Any suggestions appreciated.

I've decided to use the old EWQL samples for now, i'm not getting an overload any more. Then I can work on certain parts and put them in the mix gradually and then later put the more RAM intensive samples in later when others are bounced to Audio.

SO. ANNOYING.