Logic Pro X "autosave" doesn´t save all settings

Protone

Logic crashes and you have option to load from your previous saved version or autosaved version. You pick autosaved, and everything looks just like before the crash, right? NO!!!

All the latest regions are there, and all the tracks too. But everytime this happens to me, i find lots of things screwed up. Some software instrumenst have lost their setting or have very old settings. Some plugins too. very often PLAY instruments appear to be empty, no signs of samples that were loaded before the crash... And the list goes on. I would understand if the autosave was a "snapshot" from 5 or 10 or what ever minutes ago, but it´s not because some things are like they were 10 seconds ago, and some things like 2 hours ago, and some things totally broken.

So, does anyone know anything about this behavior? Is it a known fact that autosave won´t save certain things? Or is this a bug? Is this just my system or does this happen to you too?

-pete

Hi Pete,

Logic doesn't know that it's about to crash, then saves the project, and then crashes, which would allow to have an auto-saved version just before any crash. That would be ideal, but no software program "knows" when it's about to crash.

So instead what happens is that Logic auto-saves at regular intervals. If you're lucky, the last time Logic saved was just before a crash. If you're not lucky, it was a little while before, and you'll have to redo some of the stuff you had been doing just before the crash.

My workflow: don't count on Auto-save, and save manually (Command-S) after every operation you do (or almost all of them). It may sound overkill but it's really just a habit to get into and I do it almost all the time without thinking about it.

I certainly miss the .bak files that LP9 used to make. I do a lot of "save as" to have traceable footsteps back to a previous time. Now, unless I'm mistaken, with LPX, if a project is corrupted, there's no way to open previous versions because you need to get to that file menu that says " Revert to…"

Not a good system in my mind.

d

I certainly miss the .bak files that LP9 used to make.

They certainly could save your behind in some situations, but I've always done my save as manually after any major step... to end up with a project folder containing the following project files:

- SongName Drums

- SongName Drums_Edited

- SongName Bass

- SongName AllGuitars

- SongName Keyboards

- SongName Arranged

- SongName Vocals

- SongName Vocals+Backups

- SongName Vocals_Tuned

etc.....

I do a lot of "save as" to have traceable footsteps back to a previous time. Now, unless I'm mistaken, with LPX, if a project is corrupted, there's no way to open previous versions because you need to get to that file menu that says " Revert to…"

I'm not sure I'm understanding you right. I mean, when you do manual "save as", to open a previous project, just choose File > Open and locate the desired project??

What I mean is if you, like me, are used to do manual "Save as", then don't change your workflow - Personally, I kept the same workflow in LX.

Have you tried using "Alternatives"?

Instead of doing lots of "Save As" and ending up with loads of superfluous files in you session folder, they can now all be stored in one project as Alternatives.

Like you, I was initially dismayed by LPX's new saving system.

I was used to hitting "Apple-S" regularly and having a folder with the last 100 backups, so being limited to just 10 didn't work for me at all.

However, now I use Alternatives, I find it a really refined system.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! Where to start... Obviously I am not relying on autosave, I am talking about the times when you just get carried away and forget to save for an hour... Most of you probably know what I am talking about! :)

Maybe it´s my bad english, but you didn´t quite get what I meant. DAVID, what you describe is how you would expect the autosave to work! I understand that sometimes the "snapshot" is from minute earlier, sometimes 10 minutes and so on. Just like session file backups in Protools work.

NOW how it actually works in my system is this: Visible things like regions and tracks are (just like David said) from a certain moment before the crash. BUT then some plugin settings are from way way earlier, some plugins are empty, and so on, just like I described in my first post. Bottom line is, autosaved file is f**ked up in many ways, so that I can´t use it. So it is not a "snapshot" from any given moment.

What i think is that autosave actually doesn´t save everything everytime it saves. It saves only certain things. Now have any of you noticed anything like this?

-pete

• 1 year later...

Hi, so something really weird happened today. I worked all day on a project. All day. Then I close it, and I open it again later. It's all gone. All the work I did. The only thing there is a tiny thing I started with 2 days ago.

What happened to all the work I did, and how can I access it? I go to REVERT and there is NOTHING there except the current version with all my work gone. Did Logic mess up??? Isn't it supposed to basically autosave every time I do something?? Can anyone please help me because I have lost an entire day's work.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Logic Crashed yesterday when I was editing flex vocals it gave me the option to open last saved version which was great. I then stupidly closed the song without saving. how can I re-access this autosaved version? It's not in' Revert to'.....where is it?

Archived