Narrow stereo spread in an Instrument Track? [SOLVED]

newsound

Hello-

I've run into this problem a lot and now finally asking for help from those in this wonderful forum.

Let's say I have a stereo instrument with a stereo EXS24 inserted with a french horn section as the sample.

How can I 'narrow' the stereo spread so that the horns are not sooooo wide?

It's easy to do in ProTools since there are 2 pan pots (one for each side) - but in Logic, you can only pan BOTH sides one way or the other.

I've tried creating an aux, but stereo busses don't differentiate between R & L. In other words, bus 30 in stereo leaving an instrument channel cannot be separated later as an input to an aux . . . it only sees a mono bus 30.

Make any sense?

Is this is one of those really crazy/stupid limitations in Logic? (I've got many more, but that's many more posts)

Any ideas????

I'm on Logic Pro 9 Studio

And it's probably worth mentioning that the Logic "pan" pot is actually a balance control - it doesn't "pan both sides", eg. full left will output the left channel only, not the left and right channels both to the left. This is fine for mono sources (even if they're encoded in an interleaved stereo file), but true stereo sources need the Direction Mixer to pan.

And if you want to use two pans, one for each channel of the stereo signal like in Pro Tools, then set the output of the channel strip to a bus, create two Auxes for that bus, and click-hold the input format button (to the left of where you see "B1" on my Auxes) to choose "Left" for the first Aux and "Right" for the second Aux:

PT-style-panning.png.c46cb2c64879675a37dfed22b39a0c27.png

Thanks Eric & Juda$ & David-

Been using Logic since version 3 and never used the direction mixer. I guess it came into play sometime during the many upgrades?

I have tried the 'Spread' and that didn't do it.

David-

You must be using Logic 10 . . . no such animal on my version 9. Thanks tho!

Thanks so much . . . I knew the answer could be found here.

I have tried the 'Spread' and that didn't do it.

It should work. What happens when you try?

David-

You must be using Logic 10 . . . no such animal on my version 9. Thanks tho!

Same animal in Logic 9, only it's the button at the bottom of the meters.

David . . . you the man!

As for the Spread plug . . . I guess I could never find the 'default' setting . . . no matter where I had the 'order' set, it always coloured the sound (stereo image) to some extent. I was just looking to 'pan inwards' and nothing else.

Great tip on the PT-style panning . . . thanx!!!

Thanks Eric & Juda$ & David-

Been using Logic since version 3 and never used the direction mixer. I guess it came into play sometime during the many upgrades?

I'm pretty sure I remember using it in version 4.5.

Stereo Spread plug-in is useless except as a special effect. It pans different frequencies left and right.

Make sure you're using the Direction Mixer plugin to narrow the stereo width, what you've written makes it sound like you were trying to do it with Stereo Spread?

As for the Spread plug . . . I guess I could never find the 'default' setting . . . no matter where I had the 'order' set, it always coloured the sound (stereo image) to some extent. I was just looking to 'pan inwards' and nothing else.

Great tip on the PT-style panning . . . thanx!!!

I was talking about the spread parameter in the Direction mixer, not the Spread plug-in. Did you try Eric's suggestion? That should work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
And if you want to use two pans, one for each channel of the stereo signal like in Pro Tools, then set the output of the channel strip to a bus, create two Auxes for that bus, and click-hold the input format button (to the left of where you see "B1" on my Auxes) to choose "Left" for the first Aux and "Right" for the second Aux:

[attachment=0]PT-style-panning.png[/attachment]

Is it ok to say that using the direction mixer's panning knob with the stereo base default will do the same thing and have the same result???

Gprok

Regards!!!!

And if you want to use two pans, one for each channel of the stereo signal like in Pro Tools, then set the output of the channel strip to a bus, create two Auxes for that bus, and click-hold the input format button (to the left of where you see "B1" on my Auxes) to choose "Left" for the first Aux and "Right" for the second Aux.

Is it ok to say that using the direction mixer's panning knob with the stereo base default will do the same thing and have the same result?

No it's not exactly the same. See more here:

Direction mixer/Pan pot

A direction mixer does not let you narrow the stereo spread of an instrument then pan it on one side (for example narrow a piano that sounds too wide, then pan it to the left). You can easily achieve that with two pan knobs.

So the stereo width of the direction mixer comes after the direction knob in the signal chain?

Is that what you're saying?

Now it's getting very confusing, to make thing simple, I like the way PT handle stereo signal and I thought by using the direction mixer's pan I could achieve the same result instead of using the regular pan which in fact is more of a balance control but anyway, I really like the sound of when you move for example the right pan to the left on a stereo channel that have 2 pan buttons- L and R, it makes more sense to me.

Gprok

A direction mixer does not let you narrow the stereo spread of an instrument then pan it on one side (for example narrow a piano that sounds too wide, then pan it to the left). You can easily achieve that with two pan knobs.

Try i inserting the Direction Mixer on that track and set the stereo base to something narrower than 1.0.

can you clarify this??? I just want to make sure that in fact, the direction mixer, when use on a stereo track, can reduce the stereo field or image or call it whatever you want. And that if you use the pan pot on the direction mixer on a tereo track it certainly sound better and more efficient in terms of movings channels from left to right or verse versa......:)

Gprok

Panning with the Direction Mixer actually merged the right channel with the left channel while decreasing the level of the right channel. It’s like having the left and right channel on separate mono tracks, and panning only one channel.

That’s something to keep in mind when working with stereo recordings.

http://logic-pro-expert.com/logic-pro-blog/2011/03/12/how-to-pan-stereo-recordings-with-the-direction-mixer.html

Panning with the Direction Mixer actually merged the right channel with the left channel while decreasing the level of the right channel. It’s like having the left and right channel on separate mono tracks, and panning only one channel.

As long as you're not trying to both narrow the stereo image AND pan the stereo signal you'll be fine with a single direction mixer. If you want to do both at the same time, you'll need two direction mixers, or two auxes as in my earlier solution.

Here's an example of what cannot be done with a single Direction Mixer plug-in (narrowing the stereo field to about 1/3 of the original and panning the stereo audio to the right):

pan.png.d6a66ae39a4c9028f2f1f77608708f3a.png

Thanks for clarifying that for me as I thought I could narrow the stereo file in the DM and STILL be able to pan L or R. So If I got your point right I either use the AUX technique you mentioned ealier or, put 2 DM on a stereo tracks and use the first one to adjust the stereo field and the second one to pan right ????

Thanks for your time David!!!

Yves----gprok

Archived