64-bit and 32-bit Plugs in LOGIC 9.1.8

rickenbacker360

LP 9.1.8

I'm confused here.

I'm Sorry for the length, but I'm trying to make sure you have enough info to answer my question.

Upgraded UAD plugins to 7.5.0 (for UAD-2 Solo/Laptop configuration).

Opened Logic 9.1.8 in 64-bit. It Scanned 90 plugs. All seemed well but my existing plugin instantiation for the 1176LN said "UAD UA 1176LN (32-bit)".

This confused me enough to call UAD support. Nice guy helped, we trashed a library file for Cache of audio units, then did the process again. This time 130 Audio units were scanned (again with Logic in 64-bit mode). At end of scan, only 3 plugs (of 11 total in the suite) were listed as failing. All three were/are part of Antares AVOX EVO 2, which is 32-bit.

So I rescanned plugs with Logic opening in 32-bit. This time is said it was scanning 140 (not 130) plugs. and no errors appeared at end of process.

Opened a project and here's what I see.

An existing UAD plug on a track is listed as "UAD UA 1176 LN Legacy (32-bit)".

Now, If I instantiate a new plugin on a blank spot, It says "UAD UA 1176LN Legacy". The term "32-bit" does not appear.

What's going on? Do I have BOTH 32-bit and 64-bit instantiations in the same project by what I've done?

I'm not ready for LPX which is ONLY 64-bit, but I see this as a real problem child. How do I prep for that eventual migration?

Thanks in advance for your help.

B-U-M-P

Let me simplify.

1. Can 32-bit and 64-bit plugins both exist in LP9? I think so.

2. However, when scanning AU plugins, will it matter if it's done with Logic in 32-bit mode, or 64-bit mode, at time of scan?

3. If project was made using 32-bit UAD plugins, for which there are now 64-bit versions available, does one have to manually remap to the 64-bit version?

Sorry for all these questions in one post but they are so closely aligned to the overall procedure it would be counter-productive to have 3, 4 or 5 posts trying to articulate what is going on.

Thanks for any help.

I didn't pay attention to when I purchased any newer UAD plug ins during the transision to the Mavericks system.

I do remember when I did the UAD 7.5 update, most of my plugins became 'Legacy.' Now any previous project I open automatically uses the updated versions.

If I want to use plugins that are strictly 32 bit (non UAD), then I have to work in the Logic 32 bit mode. However, there is no longer anything I really need 32 bit mode plug in wise.

I think the question has been answered in this forum, but I don't know the exact answer. There was a 32 bit bridge mode that may have worked on prior operating systems and so it may depend on all the combinations you are running (OS X and Logic).

So with Logic in 32 bit mode, it looks like the plugins that were moved to Legacy are now missing. It is a confusing mess to me.

I am currently staying with LP 9.1.8 and 64 bit plug ins. There are a few 32 bit things I miss, but my life will go on without them.