Logic Remote 1.1 is released

Eric Cardenas

I'm not so crazy about the overall iOS7-fication of the GUI. Too flat means that your brain has just work more to process the information.

Unless LPX is moving towards that direction (which would be bad), they should keep Jonny Ives out of the music apps department.

Cycle Button and Metronome button and also the transport controls button have an established look. Now with this designer icons, you always have to think first what they mean.

The Settings Menu has the same unfortunate "style over function" GUI like the rest of the iOS7. It is just text you constantly have to read (again more redundant brain power). THe settings menu before had structure and you can see everything with one look. I call that passive, the GUI presents the information to you. Now everything is active, you have to cnstantly read the GUI, no visual structure, guessing what is a link and what is just text.

At least the Volume Faders have a scale now, which is a good thing (but why exponential and not dB linear)

My feeling was that they had real changed things for the better and automatically wished that Logic Pro X also had more of that touch.

Although Mac OS X hasn't really given up its skeumorphism just yet, aside from a few apps like Calendar, I won't be surprised if Logic does eventually start to look more like this. I'm on the fence as to whether I think that's a good thing or not. But I'm much more concerned with the functionality than with the appearance, so I'm not too worried either way.

Was it overly hopeful of me to have immediately thought that, with a new version of Logic Remote released, there just might be a new update for Logic not too far off as well? (hope, pray, grovel)

But I'm much more concerned with the functionality than with the appearance

Skeumorphism is not bad. It is not necessary for everything and can be eliminated (calendeer, notes, etc). However, to get rid of everything, just in general as the new dsign guidelines, is very troubling.

I have to disagree with you, the appearance plays a big role in the functionality. THe program only functions as good as you the operator uses it. If the GUI is a big mess then the usability suffers, then the the app doesn't "function very well".

Apple's designer make one huge mistake.

A text lable now looks the same as a button. If you (your brain) sees a text on any surface (Library Window), then it interprets that as information, as a label. If that same text is written on something that looks like a button, then your brain interprets that as an action and the text describes that action. For example, pressing on a button that says "Library Window" might open a Library Window, where a label "Library Window" just describe that what you see is the Library Window

Example Menus:

Now in iOS7, the labels in a menu (that groups the items) and the actual menu items (the commands) are just plain text, just different color. You have to read and see what the different colors are and make a decision what might happen. Does blue mean it is a link, does red mean it is a link, etc). Too much brain processing. Look at the Settings menu in LogicRemote, it is horrible.

http://DingDingMusic.com/files/EbFiles/MenuLR.png

Example Buttons.

Look at the Record "button" in the new LogicRemote GUI. It is a red dot. A red dot doesn't mean anything. If the red dot is on a button then that means something, especially if it is next to other tranport Control buttons. Same thing with the Cycle and Metronome buttons. THe designer create some cool icons (and I'm sure they are proud of it). But why do they think that puttin it on a button would dimish their art work. This is the typical "form over function" which is very troublesome. If a darker Logic window look cool from a designer point of view, then submit it to a dsigner award competition and not to the user who end up with a cooldark looking window where you can't see a darn thing.

I'm usually for modern GUI's and love the current Logic X skin. But, I agree with Edgar. The iOS skin on the remote is annoying to process and 3D buttons looked much better.

Mixer seems a bit buggy for me. Mute/Solo buttons not triggering. In fact, it's not functioning at all. Hmmm, strange.

Only really have two gripes with Logic Remote for iPad.

1. It would be great to have the option of smaller buttons in the Key Command matrix.

2. This is my biggest... I hate how whenever you do something on the remote, it brings LogicProX to the front of any other applications. I'm so used to having that with the Mackie Control.

Frankly, Apple should move their resources toward making their apps more reliably functioning, prioritize the latter over the design. And I agree that changing the GUI for the sake of looks is pretty much vain and should be reserved to fashion clothing or house decoration...

These kinds of opinions are really asinine when you think about it. What is the design department supposed to do while the other "resources" work toward improving reliability? The entire company can only do one thing at a time, right?

lol

It's not about one or the other. THere are some new graphics in LogicRemote (and even iOS7) that I like. Some are actually helping to make the app better. Even pure eye candy can help make the app better if it makes you feel better when using it (maybe somewhere on a subconscious level, as long as you share the same aesthetic taste).

The problem is where design changes make the app worse because it requires more brain power to process actions. A 'flat" design may look cool to some but it is not necessary helpful in all cases. Banning Skeumorphic makes sense for apps that don’t need it (a note pad), but a mixer should look like a mixer and a transport button should look like a transport button. Kids nowadays, doing their beats with DAWs, might not have seen a real mixing console, but for the rest of us, it is a viable user interface.

It's not about one or the other. THere are some new graphics in LogicRemote (and even iOS7) that I like. Some are actually helping to make the app better. Even pure eye candy can help make the app better if it makes you feel better when using it (maybe somewhere on a subconscious level, as long as you share the same aesthetic taste).

The problem is where design changes make the app worse because it requires more brain power to process actions. A 'flat" design may look cool to some but it is not necessary helpful in all cases. Banning Skeumorphic makes sense for apps that don’t need it (a note pad), but a mixer should look like a mixer and a transport button should look like a transport button. Kids nowadays, doing their beats with DAWs, might not have seen a real mixing console, but for the rest of us, it is a viable user interface.

You are overstating the "brainpower" element to this. Just use it. It's not that difficult to ascertain what is tappable and what isn't. Maybe it takes an extra second to learn when you are new to the app. Come on, give me a break.

lol

You are overstating the "brainpower" element to this. Just use it. It's not that difficult to ascertain what is tappable and what isn't. Maybe it takes an extra second to learn when you are new to the app. Come on, give me a break.

lol

Sorry, but I’m not giving you a break.

I’m not saying it is not difficult. It is just not necessary. For example, why do you color your Tracks or Regions? (in case you do). It is not difficult to find/see the Tracks you want. However, instead of you looking and finding the Regions (brain active), the colors jump at you (brain passive). A tiny little step to improve your workflow.

Usually, machines had a start and stop button. Your brain sees a start button and directs your finger to there to push it. If it sees a Stop button, it directs your finger there if you want the stop action.

When Microsoft came out with their Windows OS along time ago, some guy decides that it would make sense to press the Start button in order to open a menu where the Shut Down command was hidden. Of course, it would take the brain not long to learn that you have to press a Start button when you want to shut down your computer - But Why?

This way of thinking might seem "anal" or “asinine” (interesting etymology), but in order to reach perfection, nothing should be too small or insignificant to make it perfect or LOGICal. The other way of thinking would be “it’s good enough” and “whatever”.

lol

Sorry, but I’m not giving you a break.

I’m not saying it is not difficult. It is just not necessary. For example, why do you color your Tracks or Regions? (in case you do). It is not difficult to find/see the Tracks you want. However, instead of you looking and finding the Regions (brain active), the colors jump at you (brain passive). A tiny little step to improve your workflow.

Usually, machines had a start and stop button. Your brain sees a start button and directs your finger to there to push it. If it sees a Stop button, it directs your finger there if you want the stop action.

When Microsoft came out with their Windows OS along time ago, some guy decides that it would make sense to press the Start button in order to open a menu where the Shut Down command was hidden. Of course, it would take the brain not long to learn that you have to press a Start button when you want to shut down your computer - But Why?

This way of thinking might seem "anal" or “asinine” (interesting etymology), but in order to reach perfection, nothing should be too small or insignificant to make it perfect or LOGICal. The other way of thinking would be “it’s good enough” and “whatever”.

Yes, you are being anal and asinine. I heard this discussion before when iOS 7 just came out. In fact, i even agreed with it somewhat. Buttons need to feel like buttons. But you know what I discovered (and what apple knew)? They really don't, and who gives a flip.

I understand colored text to mean that it's interactive. And the red dot is obviously record. For what other reason would a large red circle possibly exist in the toolbar of an audio app? Think, dude.

You're spending an awful lot of time complaining about something that really doesn't matter at all.

lol

An actual, legitimate complaint I have about the new remote is that the solo and mute swipe functionality is very hard to get right now, I think this was mentioned before. When you swipe left or right in an attempt to solo and mute many channels, it keeps wanting to pan the entire mixer in that direction.

But you know what, nevermind, you have to hold it just for a tad for the swipe to register multiples, while a quick swipe pans. Makes sense, actually!

lol

I believe that designing an U.I. is far from being asinine. Therefore I don't think that commenting on the evolution of the U.I. of a tool you use on a regular basis is asinine, far from it.

On the other hand, I don't need software buttons to look like hardware button, or software sliders to look like hardware ones. I believe that skeuomorphism was a transitional phase, and now it's time to move on. I agree with you Edgar that you still have to make intelligent U.I. choices, independently of wether you go with flat or with skeuomorphism (or with a combination of both). IMO the new Logic Remote looks great, and the design changes are improvements. In the heat of the moment, it's faster for my brain to locate a red dot on a black background, than to locate a red dot with drop shadow and white brightness effect at the top inside a dark gray square that also has its own drop shadow.

If anything, to me, flat looks professional (simple, to the point, fast to locate what you need, not necessarily pretty) and skeuomorphism amateurish (complex, convoluted, slow to locate what you need, but pretty).

As for the Setting menu, Edgar, it looks like you've doctored the picture? The Setting menu looks very clear on my iPad, and it's immediately obvious (at least to me) what is clickable and what isn't from the different background and font colors used.

I believe that designing an U.I. is far from being asinine. Therefore I don't think that commenting on the evolution of the U.I. of a tool you use on a regular basis is asinine, far from it.

On the other hand, I don't need software buttons to look like hardware button, or software sliders to look like hardware ones. I believe that skeuomorphism was a transitional phase, and now it's time to move on. I agree with you Edgar that you still have to make intelligent U.I. choices, independently of wether you go with flat or with skeuomorphism (or with a combination of both). IMO the new Logic Remote looks great, and the design changes are improvements. In the heat of the moment, it's faster for my brain to locate a red dot on a black background, than to locate a red dot with drop shadow and white brightness effect at the top inside a dark gray square that also has its own drop shadow.

If anything, to me, flat looks professional (simple, to the point, fast to locate what you need, not necessarily pretty) and skeuomorphism amateurish (complex, convoluted, slow to locate what you need, but pretty).

As for the Setting menu, Edgar, it looks like you've doctored the picture? The Setting menu looks very clear on my iPad, and it's immediately obvious (at least to me) what is clickable and what isn't from the different background and font colors used.

I like the flat look overall, however it's just a little too simple for my taste.. we have moved past glossy buttons of course, but the text could still sink inward when pressed, as if you are pushing on a glass tile with the light interacting with it in different, subtle ways.

On the subject of skeuomorphism, it is interesting how they made the fader graphic resemble a physical fader, it's like the one thing they kept. I liked the previous version logic fader more where it was a virtual slider with the value written on it.. although that could have been improved upon too.

On the subject of skeuomorphism, it is interesting how they made the fader graphic resemble a physical fader, it's like the one thing they kept. I liked the previous version logic fader more where it was a virtual slider with the value written on it.. although that could have been improved upon too.

You're right, it's an interesting point: the fader went from almost-flat design to skeuomorphism. Think different, I guess. :wink:

David, I haven’t altered the screenshot of the two Settings window. I think it demonstrates very well that going too flat is more difficult to read “at a glance”.

I guess the new guideline is now that everything on a surface is more or less clickable: text, icon, symbols. You just tap away and something will happen. But I’m fully aware that sometimes one will get used to it over time no matter how strange or even stupid they seem at first.

And in closing, I mentioned already that overall, I really like the new look of LogicRemote. Even with iOS7 I don’t have a problem at all with the new look and colors, etc. It is just the small things where I have the feeling that sometimes the general design guidelines have priority over functionality.

David, I haven’t altered the screenshot of the two Settings window. I think it demonstrates very well that going too flat is more difficult to read “at a glance”.

Well yeah thinking back that wouldn't make much sense for you to alter the picture in order to make a point. I don't know what I was thinking. :wink:

So what's odd is that on my iPad I can see that menu much more clearly, with light gray background for the titles and white background for the blue links. Enough so that I find it very clear on my iPad, but not very clear on your screenshot. Is this also the case on your iPad?

Nevermind. That's just the screen I was using, which has a tendency to lose all contrast on white and off-white colors. So on that screen, your screenshot looks like it's all white, and it's impossible to distinguish light-gray backgrounds from white backgrounds. When I look at the same screenshot on my iPad, it has more contrast, just like when I use the Logic Remote.

On the other hand I watched my screen for a few long second (in computer time, that felt like hours) wondering where the Logic Remote Help was gone. After a while I realized that I could scroll that menu down. I find that it's a bit odd to have absolutely zero visual indication that there are more options further down in the menu and that you can scroll down.