Routing Logic Through External Headphone Amp (Monitoring)

Breakdown

Hey guys,

I've seen several threads and articles on this subject but they couldn't help me with my problem.

I want to route the Logic Pro 9 effects through my external headphone amp.

And I have 2 external devices:

1. Behringer HA8000 (headphone amp for monitoring)

2. Mackie Onyx 1640 Mixing Board

The Onyx is using the Behringer amp as an aux send and is sending 4 channels to it (one for each band member). There are no Aux returns going on there.

My computer with Logic is (as is probably normal) connected through the Firewire.

(In a graphical way it looks like this):

In ears <-- Headphone Amp <-- Onyx Mixer --> Logic

Now, I haven't been able to add the headphone amp as an external device to Logic. And when I input monitor f.e. the vocals in Logic we can get effects and all but they run solely through the main output fader of the Onyx. But we don't hear it, obviously, through our hardware sended Auxes from the headphone amp.

What I basically need is an Aux send from Logic to the physical Aux send of the Behringer.

Where has my setup gone wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Mackie Onyx 1640 Aux out to behringer amp.

So if the singer is in channel 1 of the Mackie, you SEND the signal via AUX sends of the mackie to the behringer.

So if you have the headphone channel 1 of the behringer, you select which mackie channels (vocals, guitars, bass, drums, etc) are going to get to you via the Mackie AUX sends.

Make sense?

Thanks shivermetimbers for the fast reply!

I think that's actually what we are doing. But that only gives us the dry DI signals that are unprocessed by Logic. How do I then involve the Logic effects into that signal? I hope I don't misunderstand your point here

send an effects bus (can route all to a single if you need) from the mackie to the headphone amp main 2. Then use mains 1 & 2 to adjust the mix. This is assuming you're already sending an overall mix to the headphone amp to be mixed iwth the direct in of each individual band member's headphones.

@robinloops

Ahh, so you mean using another send as an entirely wet signal that can be dialed in to taste on the headphone amp, is that right? I will definitely try that out but first I'm at the stage at what you're already assuming: I don't know how to make that send wet with Logic. So that the Mackie receives a wet signal from Logic that it can send to the headphone amp. Can you help me with that, as well? Cheers!

That is what I'm talking about. The headphone amp has two mains with individual gains, so it'll work great to mix the dry/wet (unfortunately this is a global adjustment so each member can't adjust to taste).

Not sure exactly how your audio interface is wired (no. of ins, outs, how they are wired to external bus on mixer etc.) but what I would normally do is either route the auxilliary busses in logic to another bus (call this one hdph/wet/sum, or something like that) then send this bus to a channel on the mixer/interface so that you can send it to the headphone amp.

I prefer to use a bus to send it because that way you don't have to reroute your auxiliary busses and change project adjustments. You simply send each of the effects busses to the new buss and mix as needed. For example if the band likes more reverb in their headphone mix than you'd normally use in the mix, you can send a bit more of the reverb bus (in logic) to the external bus (in logic) without having to change the actual project mix at all.

@robinloops

So I actually was able to do as you suggested. What's important to note is that my version of the Mackie doesn't have Firewire routing-pots on each individual channel as newer models have. So I never actually had a specific channel (or several channels) that Logic could route to. I only had Main 1-2 to work with (this explains why I could only select output 1-2 in Logic). So I used 2 outputs from my "Control Room Out" to send the whole Logic mix to the Behringer Main 2 (or Main 1, both are free).

This isn't yet where I'd like it to be as the wet/ Main signal is very quiet and (obviously) the Logic delay kicks in a little (Logic monitoring needs to be activated or else I don't hear anything).

As I recall there were some tricks to tackle this delay wasn't there? Or is there still a better method?

No special tricks that I know of other than playing around with audio settings. It also depends a lot on the computer's speed and RAM too.

I thought you actually had multiple (software audio) channels in the mackie as opposed to a sum piped in. One option is a multichannel audio interface if you're looking to expand your hardware setup. If not, you can make aggregate device to include you computer's internal soundcard (not the best option) or combine two audio interfaces to make an aggregate. For example I repurposed my Denon deejay controller/audio interface to serve as a headphone mixer. Then I just use it's four channels to pipe in various busses and mix down for headphones right on the built in hardware mixer.

A lot of options and possibilities. Best to add a specs tag to your profile so people know what you're working with.

Aslo finally: one thing that is very important is to not mix a digital dry signal with the original. This will make the latency really stand out and cause phasing. Make sure that the only thing going into the effects channel on the headphone amp (main 2) is 100% wet signal.

Thanks robinloops for the thorough guide and assistance.

For now, I don't seek to expand my hardware for now but most definitely know what to look for next. And with the aggregate options, I'll look into those soon. Great advice!

I'll check for the dry/ wet signals again in case I confused something there.

But for now, this is a wrap. Thanks for the help!