Software monitoring question

Studio162A

I am trying to monitor a guitar signal which is being passed through Logic's "Amp Designer" amp modeling plugin. The problem is that I get different results going through My Fireface UC's instrument input 3 vs. line input 5. "Software Monitoring" in Logic is enabled. Here is a specific description.

If I plug the guitar into Fireface instrument input 3, mute the hardware input channel strip in TotalMix, and hit the "Input" button on the channel strip in Logic, I hear only the effected guitar sound. If I turn off "Input" on the Logic channel strip I hear nothing. This is what I expect.

However, if I plug the guitar into an outboard preamp which I then route to Fireface line input 5, mute the hardware input channel strip in TotalMix, and hit the "Input" button on the channel strip in Logic, I hear a combination of the effected guitar sound along with the clean guitar. If I turn off "Input" on the Logic channel strip I hear the clean guitar and Logic's "Stereo Output" meters indicate sound. So if using input 3 no sound is passed through, but with input 5 I cannot stop sound from being passed through.

My guess is that this is a TotalMix problem (and I plan to post on the RME forum if I get no answer here), but can anyone think of a Logic-related misunderstanding on my part?

Jim

Jim

Thanks to both Triplets and to Eric

I did indeed have a reverb on an aux for output 5 which I generally use for vocals. Additionally, I was finally able to determine that none of the unaffected guitar signal is passed through when the plugins are turned on (and Logic's "Software Monitoring" is checked in the audio preferences). I did so by running a guitar through a pitch shift plugin and setting the "Mix" slider to 100%. When I did that, presto! No trace of the original note could be heard, only the pitch-shifted tone.

I understand some elements of TotalMix while others baffle me. For instance,I don't even know that you can disable TotalMix's no-latency monitoring. The manual is written in a no-nonsense style, which I appreciate, but I find it rather short on explanatory examples.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim

Hi Eric--

Yes, I figured that's what Triplet meant. What I was wondering was whether there's any way to turn off TotalMix's direct monitoring facilities. But I think what I've figured out is that this is done via TotalMix's faders. That is, there is no simple on/off button, like there was on my first audio interface many years ago.

Jim