Beatmap, flex and drum replace - in what order?

De Pepper

Hello good people,

My band and I need your help! We need to figure out the order in which to both beat map, flex and drum replace 8 drum tracks in in Logic Pro 9. And if beatmapping - i.e. making the projects tempo match the regions - will make edits (e.g. doubling verse parts) easier?

I really hope you can help us out!

Ok, this is the situation:

The tracks:

8 drum tracks (kick, snare, 2 overheads, 3 toms and 1 room mic)

+ various guitar, bas and vocal tracks

The problems:

1.) The drum tempo shifts between 129,1 and 132,7 BPM according to Logic's BPM Counter. We didn’t record to a click.

2.) The drums are not entirely tight, so here and there a kick or a snare is poorly timed.

3.) The kick and the snare sounds poor.

(We know :roll: We should have rehearsed more and recorded to a click! But we were pressed for time and now we really need your advice).

The goals:

We want to:

1.) Be able to:

a.) use e.g. the beat sync function in the stereo delay plugin for delays that follow the tempo and

b.) record and quantise a midi piano to a nice, tight Logic grid - by creating a beat map.

2.) Figure out if creating a beat map will enable us to make perfectly timed splits of regions at e.g. bar 77-80 (e.g. the verse) and then copy/paste these regions at bar 81 in order to add an extra verse?

3.) Flex the timing of the kick, snare and tom hits.

4.) Drum replace the kick and snare with midi samples

The question:

How do we best achieve these goals and - most importantly - in what order?

We know how to drum replace and we know about grouping drum tracks for flexing across all tracks.

So it's probably the beatmapping bit - and its impact on flexed tracks, midi tracks and timing dependent effects – that we’re worried about.

Sorry for this long post – and thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Niels and friends, Copenhagen/Denmark

Always work on copy of the recorded material, never on the original ones :!:

I would opt for step 4 first.

Bounce in place or merge the drum tracks, making sure all its constituents are coherently in sync with one another.

Flex time that drums track (slicing could be the proper flex option).

Usually setting the regions beginnings on the downbeat (ideally on the bar) eases the timing related processes (especially with beatmapping)....

Use of beatmap will create a tempo track (containing tempo changes, if any left). Yealding to the other flexed enabled tracks to follow the Q-referenced drums track. Flex time would/could/should normally allow quantization of the drum track to a steady tempo, or following the tempo changes made by beatmap.

So depending of the end result you are looking for, I would work on the drum track to make it sync to a steady tempo. That would allow you to bypass the beatmapping process.

That should ease the steps 1a & b. working with MIDI is way more flexible and forgiving...

If you create a groove template from the drum track and assign that groove template as quantize setting to the piano track, you should be in business. The delay setting should follow the tempo of your project.

• 3 months later...
Thank you, Atlas007 for your quick reply. Please accept my apologies for responding sooo very late - a lot of tedious circumstances have been preventing me from having time for anything musicrelated. I'll make sure to check out your advice. Thanks and sorry again, De Pepper

Archived