Yamaha DTXmulti 12 - Receiving MIDI data, but no sound?!

micack

Hi there,

I've been struggling with setting up my Yamaha DTXmulti 12 for a while now. Connecting the device and using it with software instruments (using a software instrument track) has been working fine, but when I try to record the DTX's internal sounds through an External MIDI track, the data appears to be coming through, but without producing any sound.

Im not sure if this is an issue to do with the Yamaha Midi Driver, or if its something within Logic.

Any help would be fantastic and very much appreciated!

Hi,

I've been struggling with setting up my Yamaha DTXmulti 12 for a while now. Connecting the device and using it with software instruments (using a software instrument track) has been working fine, but when I try to record the DTX's internal sounds through an External MIDI track, the data appears to be coming through, but without producing any sound.

You don't mention anything about audio connections. You'll need audio cables and an audio interface to get the DTX's sounds into your computer and Logic.

J.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. That was the thought that was crossing my mind. I've just been using a standard usb cable. I have an Alesis multimix4 interface, but if i want to bypass the interface will something like this do the trick?:

http://dx.com/p/usb-to-dual-midi-converter-cable-200cm-length-36132?tc=AUD&gclid=CJv-pYPbmr0CFQEepQodjmcACQ

Or do i need to go through the interface with a midi to xlr kind of deal in order to record the DTX's internal sounds?

Thank Again :)

I have an Alesis multimix4 interface, but if i want to bypass the interface will something like this do the trick?

Not sure why you want to "bypass" the interface if what you need is to get audio into Logic? You need audio cables to connect from the DTX's audio outputs to the multimix4's audio inputs.

Or do i need to go through the interface with a midi to xlr kind of deal

No such thing exists. Audio is one thing, MIDI another.

J.

My problem isn't getting audio into logic when i solely want the audio, that is working fine, i can record the DTX's internal sounds without trouble via an audio cable. My problem is that when I connect it to the computer via a midi cable (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=usb+midi+cable&safe=off&espv=2&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nEQpU78TirySBfjMgZgK&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=874&bih=566#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=2L4r2mxMWIjGoM%253A%3BHXjogWNQwr5VFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Funiqsource.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2013%252F03%252FUSB2.0A-MaleToB-MaleCableMIDI.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Funiqsource.com%252Fleisure%252Fdriver-for-yamaha-keyboard%252F%3B600%3B300) I can play software instruments, but when I set up an external midi track to record the internal sounds of the DTX, the midi data comes through, but there is no audio before, during or after recording... I can just see my rhythm but dont hear it.

So to get that midi data as well as the audio, do I need something like the cord i put a link to in my previous response? or should audio be coming through with simply the usb cable.

Thank you for your patience, sorry to be a pain!

My problem isn't getting audio into logic when i solely want the audio, that is working fine, i can record the DTX's internal sounds without trouble via an audio cable. My problem is that when I connect it to the computer via a midi cable (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=usb+ ... B600%3B300) I can play software instruments, but when I set up an external midi track to record the internal sounds of the DTX, the midi data comes through, but there is no audio before, during or after recording... I can just see my rhythm but dont hear it.

So to get that midi data as well as the audio, do I need something like the cord i put a link to in my previous response? or should audio be coming through with simply the usb cable.

Thank you for your patience, sorry to be a pain!

Thanks for clarifying.

You don't need an extra MIDI interface. The DTX-multi 12 does MIDI I/O via USB provided you've installed the driver.

If the MIDI data is not triggering the DTX's sounds after going though Logic, it must be due to either a MIDI channel mismatch or the correct MIDI output port has not been set in Logic.

After creating the external MIDI track, choose the correct port from Logic's Library pane and then set the MIDI channel to the one the DTX is set to respond to (most likely MIDI channel 10).

Also, make sure Local Control is set to Off in this configuration (DTX+Logic).

Please click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.5)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.1)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

J.

I fiddled around with the ports but nothing appears to be working, ive checked the midi driver, reinstalled it twice... nothing changed. I've uploaded a screenshot to give you an idea of what im looking at. It has 3 ports and i have tried all three, with all combination of channels and all I am getting is the data with no sound. I thought perhaps that maybe this issue is to do with the Environment? But i know little about it.

Im lost as to what is going wrong here as it seems such a simple issue :?

69725473_ScreenShot2014-03-20at11_36_47pm.thumb.png.e18532a5a0316506b23ec03c138a0b8a.png

Hi,

Things look OK in your screenshot...but if things are not set right on the DTX itself you'll never get it to work. Make sure you check the DTX's manual MIDI settings section.

I thought perhaps that maybe this issue is to do with the Environment?

Nope. There's no need to do anything in the environment.

You could check with the free MIDI Monitor software to make sure data is going out of Logic OK (you'll have to use the "Spy on output to destinations" option):

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Finally, once again, make sure you turn Local Control OFF on the DTX. Check the manual for details.

J.

I have gone over everything you have suggested more than once, and it all seems to on the right settings, local control is off. I've checked the MIDI settings in the manual, checked it all on the DTX and gone over the troubleshooting suggestions, all seems to be right despite there being no sound. The MIDI monitor showed the data coming through port 1 as it is in Logic, but no sound.

I have no idea what is going on, but the only thing i could find that seemed off this time was, that despite installing the Yamaha USB MIDI Driver (I tested it a few times with the 'Send All Note ON' function and it was working), when i actually go into Library/Audio/MIDI-Drivers its blank, there is no evidence any driver or plug-in present. Its seems unlikely because the DTX is working with software instruments, but could this be the root of my problem? As I said before i've reinstalled the driver a few times, and i did so again and nothing changed.

Another interesting thing is, when I record something on an external MIDI track with the DTX (with the data coming through but no sound) and try to playback the track on 'solo', logic ignores it and plays everything as if the data doesn't exist and i am trying to 'solo' an empty track. I don't know if that gives off any clues?

Thanks once again for your help Jordi, really appreciate it!

I've checked the MIDI settings in the manual, checked it all on the DTX and gone over the troubleshooting suggestions, all seems to be right despite there being no sound. The MIDI monitor showed the data coming through port 1 as it is in Logic, but no sound.

Still, you don't say what settings you've made in the DTX. What's the receive channel set to? Does it match the MIDI channel you've set for the external MIDI track in Logic? You say MIDI is coming in, but is it coming out of Logic (feel free to post a screen shot of what you see in MIDI Monitor)?

when i actually go into Library/Audio/MIDI-Drivers its blank, there is no evidence any driver or plug-in present. Its seems unlikely because the DTX is working with software instruments, but could this be the root of my problem?

I installed the latest driver from the website here on my system and I end up with two files:

"YAMAHA-USBMIDIDriver.plugin" in Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/

and "YAMAHA-USBMIDIPatch.prefPane" in /Library/PreferencePanes/

You should have those too if the installation was done correctly.

Checking the manual again, there's also a setting to specify if MIDI I/O will happen through the MIDI ports or through USB port. It should be set to USB (page 91 in the manual).

J.

The channel is set to receive to channel 10, which is the channel i have been using in logic. Local is off, message type is set to 'note', Tune Generator Switch is set to on, same as the MIDI switch, MIDI I/O is set to USB, MIDI Transmit is set to 'all'.

I've included 3 different screens shots, i hope they can offer some help.

Arh yes! I reinstalled the Driver and those elements have appeared, however, sadly still no sound.

1575205000_WithoutLogicOpen.thumb.png.5463e8bbb6c2d19d0571335f64c9ac67.png

Without Logic Open

603893733_WithRealTimedeselected.thumb.png.f93e615c10a422379d0b2066310ee34d.png

With 'Real Time' Deselected

684629405_WithLogicOpen.thumb.png.e3fa471ee8f8484c2c4f339277979f24.png

With Logic Open

Hi,

Your first screenshot shows a bunch of Note Off messages for the note C-2 going out on all 3 output ports that are available with the DTX's USB port...no idea why it's doing that but it gives me a "bad vibe". In the same screenshot you got some notes on channel 10 going in and out Port 1. That looks good and sound should be produced if the DTX is indeed set to respond to that MIDI channel.

Your second screenshot shows notes on MIDI channel 10 coming in from the DTX. Cool, but you already knew the data was coming in, so...

Your third screen shot shows some active sense messages and some MIDI Clock messages as well. Both of these are irrelevant to what you're trying to achieve.

So again, if the DTX is indeed set to respond to notes on MIDI channel 10, it should be making sound when receiving that data.

At this point I think you'd be better off asking at a forum for DTX users:

http://www.dtxperience.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=96&page=1

Let us know if you figure it out.

J.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for all your help Jordi, very much appreciated :) I will definitely let you know if I uncover the problem and figure it out.

One last query,

Do you believe if I record through the dual MIDI I/O on the back of the DTX straight to the computer (using a cord such as this: http://dx.com/p/usb-to-dual-midi-converter-cable-200cm-length-36132?tc=AUD&gclid=CMW9ttf_qb0CFcddpQodlx4AAA#.Uy-Hl62SzWo), that i will achieve anything different? or just come across the same issue?

Thanks once again :)

Do you believe if I record through the dual MIDI I/O on the back of the DTX straight to the computer (using a cord such as this: http://dx.com/p/usb-to-dual-midi-converter-cable-200cm-length-36132?tc=AUD&gclid=CMW9ttf_qb0CFcddpQodlx4AAA#.Uy-Hl62SzWo), that i will achieve anything different? or just come across the same issue?

Hi,

I think before you spend any money you should try to get help either from Yamaha or from other DTX users...if you end up buying a MIDI interface, buy one from a reputable brand and not a super-cheap one like the one in your link, those tend to give problems, I've seen it many times. Roland's UM-ONE is a good choice.

J.