Random Velocity Changes (Two Filter)

Logicall

Hey folks!

I'm starting to notice way too many glitches in Logic (one of the worst being that it randomly changes the names of instruments in my projects!)

Most recently, I've noticed that while I record pieces at a certain velocity (in particular, right now I'm noticing this with the Two Filter software instrument), they don't play back at that velocity. I've even gone into the Piano Roll and used the Velocity Tool to increase the velocity as high as it will go (completely red), and it still doesn't increase the velocity for those notes. What this means is that every other note or so disappears! How is possible to compose in Logic with these kinds of glitches?

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

If an instrument doesn't appear to react to velocity as expected, you may well be using a preset that is programmed not to react to it. You really need to investigate the instruments' settings first.

I have not noticed any anomalies in velocity handling in LP X, and I often keen on using as much of the full 1-127 range as possible and when practising, I use a MIDI monitor especially to observe the velocities, so I'm pretty attentive to and aware of it.

I have not seen the randomly name changing of instruments since way back in LP 9 - once. It's a pretty clear sign of project corruption, better create a new project from the empty template and import the tracks of the corrupted project (not the settings) via the File Browser:

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10/#lgcpce085447

Hi Erik,

So I did what you suggested, but when I imported the tracks, the instruments had lost all of their names! Now they all just have numbers ("Inst 4" for example)! Any way to import with the instrument names?

Thanks again!

Andrew

That should not happen. This sounds like the corruption runs deeper. You should probably run some diagnostic tools (Disk Utility) now, and delete Logics' preferences. They are in your user Library: in Finder, use the Go menu while pressing Alt, then choose Library. In the Library folder there's a preferences folder, delete com.apple.logic.pro.plist and com.apple.logic.pro.cs from that. Quit Logic before deleteing the prefs.

Hmmm...well...I ran Disk Utility, checked and repaired all permissions, verified the disk, and then deleted the permissions folders you suggested that I delete (I didn't empty trash, however...would that matter?) I restarted Logic and found that the exact same thing happened when I tried to create a new project and import the instruments (but not settings) of an old file.

What is your exact Logic version? It may be some bug that got ironed out in a later version, though I can recall only one report on this, and I saw it once happen myself (but both were at least a year ago, probably longer).

Did you start those projects in Logic 8 perhaps? Or are you on Logic 9.1.x and these are older LP 9.0.x created files?