Connecting Roland TB3 to use with Logic

JayPudd

Hello,

I have successfully installed and set up the driver for the TB3 and it is plugged into my mac with the correct usb cable but I can't see any indication of this in Logic. The only inputs available on the audio channel strips are 'input 1' and 'Input 2' which are the computer's built-in inputs. The manual also says you can synchronise it with the DAW I have seen videos of people connecting a TR8 to their computer and Logic displays something like 14 separate inputs for the different drum sounds. I have been unable to find any in-depth videos or instructions on connecting the TB3.

I am using a Macbook Pro with Logic Pro 9.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

J

Hi Jordi, thanks for replying.

If I click on 'preferences' in Logic and go to 'audio', the only input options are 'built-in input' and 'built-in microphone'.

However, on the audio channel strips, it has 'input 1' and 'input 2' as available inputs but is now showing 'input 3' and 'input 4' but both input 3 and input 4 are greyed out and are not selectable.

Do I have to adjust anything on the TB3 itself?

Thanks

J

P.S - I do have a saffire 6 usb interface which has MIDI inputs, would it be worth connecting the TB3's midi outs to the interface's midi inputs and then to the computer?

Ideally, I would like to just plug the TB3 straight in though.

If I click on 'preferences' in Logic and go to 'audio', the only input options are 'built-in input' and 'built-in microphone'.

However, on the audio channel strips, it has 'input 1' and 'input 2' as available inputs but is now showing 'input 3' and 'input 4' but both input 3 and input 4 are greyed out and are not selectable.

You should go to Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup, and then from its window menu choose "Show MIDI Window". Here you can check whether the TB3's driver is working or not. There should be a device icon for it there. If it's dimmed or grayed-out it means there no communication between TB3 and computer. Check that first.

P.S - I do have a saffire 6 usb interface which has MIDI inputs, would it be worth connecting the TB3's midi outs to the interface's midi inputs and then to the computer?

You could do it like that too, yes. But try troubleshooting the TB3's driver first.

J.

Okay I went into Audio MIDI setup and there is no icon for a TB3, I clicked rescan and still nothing came up. I've performed a factory reset on the TB3 and plugged it back in but still, nothing is coming up. I've also tried with 2 different usb cables.

Is there anything I'm missing? Could it possibly be a faulty model?

Thanks

Check that the driver was installed properly.

You should have a MIDI Driver:

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/RDUSB017BMidi.plugin

A preference pane:

Macintosh HD/Library/PreferencePanes/RDUSB017BPref.prefPane

A folder with some startup files in:

Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/RDUSB017BStartup

And the audio driver:

Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/RDUSB017BDev.kext

Seeing there are some StartupItems that are part of the installation, the computer must me restarted after installing for this items to run.

I've also tried with 2 different usb cables.

Make sure you try a different USB port as well.

J.

Jordi,

I have checked all the folders you have kindly listed but none of the files are in there so I think we can assume this is the problem!

I'm a little bit confused though, the TB3 page on the Roland website gives you instructions of how to install the driver onto the TB3 and not the computer itself, which is what I originally did.

So there needs to be a driver installed ON the computer as well? I can only find one driver for the TB3 on the Roland website. Well... three drivers, but two of them are just updates.

Thanks for your help so far.

You haven't installed the driver at all! :) What you did was a firmware update on the TB3...on the website this appears as "System Program".

You need to install the driver and yes, on the computer. The driver is the software that will let the TB3 communicate with the computer and your audio and MIDI programs.

Download "TB-3 Driver Ver.1.0.0 for Mac OS X" from here:

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=TB-3

J.

Hahahahahaha, wow that's a little embarassing.

Nice, 'TB3' is now in the input menu and the audio is coming through, thanks a lot dude.

Can I just ask, do you know what the MIDI functions are and how you would go about setting up a midi track for the tb3?

Thanks again

Can I just ask, do you know what the MIDI functions are and how you would go about setting up a midi track for the tb3?

You can sync it to Logic'c clock (tempo) using MIDI Clock...I'm not sure what the unit outputs MIDI-wise because there's no MIDI implementation info in the manual or elsewhere that I can see.

J.

• 1 month later...

Hey jaypudd,

Just a quick one now that you have it set up, what I'm hearing is the usb functions as midi and audio at once, and also if the tb is acting as an audio interface dose that mean I've to internally disconnect my motu interface just to use the tb 3 if using it just from usb

• 5 months later...