Extension Cables or Rack Power

Hi All

I have been having a bit of a problem with my power, I keep getting a small static shock when I tough my Amp, i know this a earth ground loop, I will be getting a metal wall socket that has an earth connector,what would you recommend in using to power 14 leads, a decent power strip/extension cable or a rack mounted power distributor, any suggestions would be very welcome.

Regards

Rom

Recommend getting your electrical outlet tested to see if bad grounding is the problem. You can buy an electrical tester (like the one shown) very cheaply (less than $10) and it will tell you what the problem is. If it's truly an open ground, you might need to get an electrician in to remedy the problem.

Or, if you have another outlet close by, test it with the tester thingy. If it proves to be good, then sure, run a 14 gauge extension to your rig.

You mentioned rack mounted power distributor. That's not going to do anything other than spread the problem if in fact you connect it to an outlet with an open ground.

QVTIMG20050902111828578.jpg.8f1ba6461f7d701f7067ee9d65eb5478.jpg

Cheers Ski, I have ordered a outlet tester and a Electrician is coming tuesday, do you have any suggestions on a Extension cable with multiple plug sockets, I was looking at this http://www.lindy.co.uk/power-c8/power-accessories-c341/mains-extension-surge-protection-c343/mains-conditioner-power-strip-6-way-p3857

+1 to Ski's comments.

When I bought my building I ended up having to correct a bunch of faulty outlets which had no ground due to how the hack electrician employed by the previous owner had installed the bx cable into the box's. Instead of using the proper bushing in the connecting ends of the bx to protect the wires from the outer metal casing of the bx they used electrical tape which became a barrier between the metal casing (which acts a ground) and the metal box it was connected to. I had to tear open my walls around many outlets to correct this problem.

You may also consider investing a little more into your rig by getting one of these.

http://www.adorama.com/APCBR1500G.html

I have two to cover my various different systems. Not only does it condition the power going to your sensitive equipment but it protects against power surges and it has a battery back up so you have time to Save your work and shut down your system before the power runs out.

Cheers Ski, I have ordered a outlet tester and a Electrician is coming tuesday, do you have any suggestions on a Extension cable with multiple plug sockets, I was looking at this http://www.lindy.co.uk/power-c8/power-accessories-c341/mains-extension-surge-protection-c343/mains-conditioner-power-strip-6-way-p3857

I highly, highly, highly, very highly, most highly doubt on high (being a very highly high place) that that strip is going to do anything other than distribute power to your various devices as a plugboard should. Squelch radio interference? Maybe. Improve clarity? They're taking the micky*.

Oh, and as far as surge protection... plugboards like this offer surge protection on the first surge. But after that? Nope...

You should be just fine with this one:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/power-c8/power-accessories-c341/mains-extension-surge-protection-c343/individually-switched-6-way-uk-mains-power-strip-white-2m-p3878