Can anybody explain the i/o plugin for me

Quicksandjezus

I always thought, the I/O plugin was some kind of virtual insert point.

I'm using logic X with two ULN 8's from Metric Halo ( incl. the mio console software )

Most of the time I use track stacks in Logic.

But when I put an I/O plugin on this track stack and route audio to my convertor's DSP card and back, I can hear it working but, the signal isn't returning to the stack buss, aka no signal is visual in the output metering.

I thought the plugin was a kind of insert point, breaking in on the signal path and after that continuing on the same signal path after the plugin.

Bit of confusion here, so if someone knows the answer, please explain it to me.

I always thought, the I/O plugin was some kind of virtual insert point. (....)

I thought the plugin was a kind of insert point, breaking in on the signal path and after that continuing on the same signal path after the plugin.

You're 100% correct here.

But when I put an I/O plugin on this track stack and route audio to my convertor's DSP card and back, I can hear it working but, the signal isn't returning to the stack buss, aka no signal is visual in the output metering.

What can you hear exactly? And how is your monitoring set up? What do you listen to: Logic's output only? Or do you use a mixer, or a monitoring software for your audio interface to mix Logic with something else?

In any case I would recommend you first try making this work with a simpler setup: a test project with a single track, a single channel strip, and place the i/o on that channel strip, see if you can make that work first?

Check your routing within MIO console.

Judging by your description it sounds like you are hearing the signal directly from your MIO instead of from Logic.

Thanks guys,

So I was right about the working of the i/o plug. It's not a Logic thing than, but the routing in the MIO router, off always problematic for me.

Thanks for the tip David I'll try that first.

I use Logic in combination with MH's Mio software, you can see MIO as a virtual patch bay to connect logic with my interfaces. My problem with it is, that it is so smooth you can send your signals where you want ( busses to busses, you name it ) and the router takes care of it behind the scenes, it is so easy and the ideas behind it are so cool, but I cannot see the virtual path' in my head.

And on top of it is an internal monitor controller what for me is a patch bay on it's own ;-!

Thanks for the help, at least I know the i/o plug works like expected.

Archived