Midi transformer possibilities??? Note OFF every new note ON

coilandmagnet

I've got a specific need that I'm hoping someone can assist me with investigating...

I need to use the midi transformer object to modify a midi input signal as such... Every time a NOTE ON is played/received, first a NOTE OFF is sent to ALL notes, and then the note is played with its respective NOTE ON.

Makes sense? Essentially,I'm playing a vintage monophonic synth via midi-to-cv converter but my midi-cv converter has a coding design flaw (already confirmed w the manufacturer directly) and the unit gets confused when there is a note being hung onto (with ones hand) before a new note is pressed. The new note gets cut off by the previous note's release when in fact it is released. It leads to a lot of terribly stunted notes when trying to play a legato passage.

So I need to have ALL NOTES OFF message sent at the attack of every note, just before the actual note on message goes out. This way there is no overlap of notes.

I've tried to navigate the transformer object but it's a rather steep learning curve! I'm comfortable with this kind of stuff, just not sure where to start...

You can try a simple setup like this, there's just one snag: it also converts note off messages to ANO messages. If that's a problem, I can show you a setup where that's addressed, but that's a bit more complicated (you can only separate note off messages in the environment via a weird workaround).

1. Open an Environment window, cmd-8

2. Go to the Clicks & Ports layer

3. From the New menu, create 1 Transformer and 2 Monitors (monitors optional, they're just to verify the transformation)

Cable as shown below, and set up the Transformer as shown below.

1113785051_pic2014-03-30at11_11_49.PNG.be9aa04ed75e8444b059f6dfebd1758b.PNG

Reading your question again I think you may also need to insert a Delay Line as shown in the pic below, so that the ANO indeed comes before the note:

The Delay Line's resolution is in ticks, that should be fine enough to not interfere in playing fluency (2 ticks at 120 BPM roughly equals 1 millisecond).

1262931404_pic2014-03-30at11_27_39.PNG.6b9a4f328b4f3980a1f0b9b5a6edb811.PNG

that's incredibly helpful! thanks so much...

it's almost there… i have it all set up and i'm monitoring the sum of both signals now hitting the sequencer, and i can see all of the messages coming in a their desired order. but the 123 controller isn't preventing the note off message from coming through still…

here's a screen shot after having just played the note C, held it while hitting D, then letting go of C (which causes D to stop sounding too), and finally letting go of D (which had no audible effect since it's already OFF).

1440711419_ScreenShot2014-03-30at12_18_26PM.thumb.png.90f5ccbb3277f5921ebd190fc5a3acf3.png

If all you have is this CV-to-MIDI thing, then all I can come up with is: sacrifice the highest or lowest key and "Transformer" it into an All Note Off button.

If you have other controllers (Modwheel, Pitchwheel, sustain pedal etc), then you could use anu of these to generate an all note off message. Or you hit any key and switch of your synth before releasing the key...

Ok thanks, you have been so helpful! I appreciate that.

With this transformer info I think I can figure something out.

One question though.. In Clicks and Ports, or elsewhere in Logic, is it possible to patch these tranformers onto a specific output port rather than input port(s)? If I can do that, then when I create the solution I can leave it in place to only affect the midi-cv converter (port) and not all of my midi received in logic.

Only if those ports 1, 2 and 3 that your Physical Input object shows is your MIDI-CV convertor - or maybe you have to create a device "represent" the MCV convertor in Audio MIDI setup - you'll have to try that out. Anything you cable off another lower port from the Physical Input object no longer comes from the Sum port.

well, it's a little complicated..

the converter thing i have is the Qunexus… it has a controller/keyboard on it with it's "three" midi ports shown in the clicks and ports, AND it has a bunch of CV connections. so, i'm using it as my output port to my CV synth. i'm also using its (qunexus') keyboard as my midi input controller/keyboard.

so… the three ports in the clicks and ports are inputs, and i'm wondering if there is access in logic anywhere to add transformers to a qunexus OUT port. there also happen to be three out ports on the qunexus. #3 is the one i have to use. so i'm looking to modify/transform output port 3 on the Qunexus in the manner previously discussed.

Archived