Logic X doesn't see BFD2 as a plug in [SOLVED]

Johnny Cakes

Hello Gentlepersons

I have just installed Mavericks and Logic X and when I launch old Logic 8 projects I am told that BFD2 is not available as a plug in. Yet it is installed in my applications folder. Is there a way of getting X to see it?

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 12 GB

Apogee Duet 2 - BFD 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm also having an issue with this. I just recently got a new iMac and upgraded to LPX from LP9. I have BFD2 installed but neither version of Logic will see it (I really only need it for LPX). It loads fine standalone. I'm not great with the nuts and bolts sort of stuff -- how do I make sure BFD2 is the 64 bit version?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Hi,

Go to Logic Pro X menu > Preferences > Audio Units Manager...it should be listed there as "successfully validated" for you to be able to use it in Logic. If you don't see it there, it could be you haven't installed the Audio Unit version of the plug-in (Logic doesn't use VST or any other plug-in format, only Audio Units).

J.

Any ideas on how I would install the audio unit version of the plug-in?

Actually there's nothing for the user to do to choose what plug-in format to install. The installer installs all plug-in formats automatically. You should have a "BFD2.component" in Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/Components/. If it's there, try restarting your computer. If Logic doesn't scan it and validate it after that, try deleting the Audio Units cache file to force revalidation of all Audio Units: the file is in Macintosh HD/Users/your username/Library*/Caches/AudioUnitCache/com.apple.audiounits.cache.

*The user Library folder is hidden by dealt in recent versions of OSX. If you don't see it, you can get to it quickly by entering the Finder's Go menu and pressing the Option key.

J.

I did all those things however none of it worked until I restarted the computer -- then Logic rescanned for new Audio Units when opening, so I'm not entirely sure which of those suggestions was the deciding factor, unfortunately.

I guess I forgot to say that Logic needs to be closed while you install the plug-in...the scanning and validating process happens when Logic opens. Same thing applies if you delete the Audio Units cache.

Anyway, glad you got it working in the end! :)

J.