How to "Import session data"?!

balco

OK, I appologize for using "ProTools terminology", however it is the best way to describe the issue imho.

At first, I'd like to notice that in this case I use Logic as a DAW for recording a band in studio.

What I need to do is when I have mixed one song of a band recorded to Logic, I'd like to transfer all (or rather almost all) of the audio object parameters to another song, so I save a huge ammount of time mixing the other songs and make them sound similar to the first one.

(In ProTools I used the Import session data command, which worked fine for this purpose). Three basic ways come to my mind, but the disadvantages are so overwhelming: Import Environment command, ChannelStrip settings, and copy-paste the Audio Configuration.

The problem is that the Import Environment function just does not work properly somehow, and it does not import the bus routings and levels, which is vital for me. Channel Strips do not carry bus routings and levels either, and doing this individually track by track is so long and boring...

Then there could be another way - Audio Configuration. But the copy-paste function in Audio Configuration window replaces ALL of the objects with no mercy. Usually, the song arrangements differ from each other, e.g. in number of vocal tracks, guitars or other instruments. And for this reason, the channel numbers of particular tracks can differ through the songs.

So what I need to do is to copy or import inserts, bus routings, bus levels, pan and volume from one song to another. But just to major part of audio tracks, but not to all of them.

I think that many of us would like to know if there is a way to solve this.

Thanks in advance, any ideas much appreciated.

OK, I appologize for using "ProTools terminology", however it is the best way to describe the issue imho.

At first, I'd like to notice that in this case I use Logic as a DAW for recording a band in studio.

What I need to do is when I have mixed one song of a band recorded to Logic, I'd like to transfer all (or rather almost all) of the audio object parameters to another song, so I save a huge ammount of time mixing the other songs and make them sound similar to the first one.

(In ProTools I used the Import session data command, which worked fine for this purpose). Three basic ways come to my mind, but the disadvantages are so overwhelming: Import Environment command, ChannelStrip settings, and copy-paste the Audio Configuration.

The problem is that the Import Environment function just does not work properly somehow, and it does not import the bus routings and levels, which is vital for me. Channel Strips do not carry bus routings and levels either, and doing this individually track by track is so long and boring...

Then there could be another way - Audio Configuration. But the copy-paste function in Audio Configuration window replaces ALL of the objects with no mercy. Usually, the song arrangements differ from each other, e.g. in number of vocal tracks, guitars or other instruments. And for this reason, the channel numbers of particular tracks can differ through the songs.

So what I need to do is to copy or import inserts, bus routings, bus levels, pan and volume from one song to another. But just to major part of audio tracks, but not to all of them.

I think that many of us would like to know if there is a way to solve this.

Thanks in advance, any ideas much appreciated.

Unfortunately there is no Logic equivalent to this wonderful ProTools feature. It is high on many users wish list, including mine.

The workarounds are the ones you listed, inadequate though they may be.

I have another workaround for this, if I'm reading what you're after correctly...

I have a user template (Save as>User/Library/Application Support/Logic/Song Templates) that I start projects with. I mainly do multitrack recording so it basically has lots of audio tracks and busses in the environment, everything at unity, pretty stock...

When cutting a multiple song project, I will start with this template and modify it as the first track is being cut, naming the tracks, setting the bussing, getting general levels. Then I will either save this as another (specific to the band or act) user template or just do a Save As after the first track, Select All in the Arrange window, and delete the regions (after this I open the Audio window, select unused, and wash this out, too)...

The limitation of this is that, once those sessions have been saved out, you can't do any more with them in the 'global' sense (maybe this is what you are talking about?) I would agree with you and Ashermusic that this is a case where PT is probably superior functionally, being designed as a 'recording' DAW, as opposed to Logic which is much more of a 'writing' or 'arranging' DAW at its heart (gross generalization, but somewhat valid).

'Import Session Data'. Some sort of a 'playlist' type function, a little less clumsy than folder tracks. Automatic beat detection. The ability to select and record-arm multiple tracks simultaneously from the Arrange window...

Despite the clientele and general tone of this forum, I think that there are enough users like us who do multitrack studio-style recording sessions who would really appreciate this sort of stuff, and I think if Apple really wants to break down Digi's doors, they should be looking to address it.

Best, Marcel

• 10 years later...

To import session data such as channel strips and their plug-ins, settings etc...

1) Open the destination project.

2) In the All Files Browser, locate the source project and double-click it.

3) Select all the session data you want to import and click Add or Replace.

4) Make sure the regions are on the correct tracks and check all Mixer routings.

PS: Sometimes you have to think backwards though: instead of importing the Mixer settings from A to B, you could save A as a template, clear it of all regions, and copy paste the regions from B to that template.