Sustain Pedal Issue in Logic Pro 9

TwelveTribes

Hello,

Been looking through the forum, but unable to find an answer to my problem.

I have an Oxygen49 keyboard controller with an M-Audio SP2. Works great in Garageband 11 and Mainstage 2, but I cannot get it working in Logic Pro 9.

Here's a screenshot of my controller assignment

screen1.thumb.png.22cd01affd11ecc1649f95935f7efd25.png

When I press the sustain pedal - nothing appears in the Transport MIDI Monitor (just no input)

If I highlight the Oxygen in my controller assignments, and enter LEARN MODE, it sees my sustain pedal on CH 16 - CC 64 (which I think is correct) - here's a screenshot of what it finds in LEARN MODE

screen2.png.09ff2dc0aba15f589b8f3ceb63f6a578.png

Am I supposed to add it this way via LEARN and then assign a 'Parameter' value? I've looked all over and cannot find a 'sustain' parameter.

I'm stuck - any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you tried leaving your "learned controllers set" off? Your keyboard should transmit [controller 64] for the sustain pedal without Logic having to "learn" it. Check your setups and preferences in Logic and make sure it is receiving MIDI: Press your sustain pedal and you should be seeing MIDI activity as a Controller # being displayed at the bottom of the Logic 9.1.8 screen in the transport window to the left of the little CPU and HD meters: The value should read "64" and "127" when you press the pedal.

Is this a new problem? Is your Oxygen49 setup in your "Utilities<"Audio MIDI Setup? If you're switching apps, close them to make sure your other app process isn't "hanging on" to your keyboard and hogging it away from Logic. It's sounds strange, but these new fancy USB keyboards will do goofy things. LMK.

(sorry James, I just now (after posting) discovered that I somehow overlooked the fact that you had already posted an adequate reply :oops: )

Hello,

I have an Oxygen49 keyboard controller with an M-Audio SP2. Works great in Garageband 11 and Mainstage 2, but I cannot get it working in Logic Pro 9.

When I press the sustain pedal - nothing appears in the Transport MIDI Monitor (just no input)

If I highlight the Oxygen in my controller assignments, and enter LEARN MODE, it sees my sustain pedal on CH 16 - CC 64 (which I think is correct) - here's a screenshot of what it finds in LEARN MODE

[attachment=0]screen2.png[/attachment]

Am I supposed to add it this way via LEARN and then assign a 'Parameter' value?

No, not at all. I don't know why you are thinking so. Sustain works directly, just like pitchbend wheel or modulation wheel or keys.

So why are you working via controller assignments? Don't answer that. You shouldn't. It's only needed if you want to give the sustain pedal a different function (remap it). Otherwise, sustain works directly on an instrument, no need for any 'mapping'. What you have done now by using the sustain as a learned command, the actual MIDI command will no longer go to any instrument as a sustain event, and you indeed will NOT see it in Logics' MIDI monitor. You need to delete that assignment (second screenshot) and forget about the whole CA window.

Also, you are sending your sustain on MIDI channel 16. Though it should work, it is better to set it channel 1.

Appreciate the help.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I only started doing controller assignments because Logic wasn't seeing my sustain pedal MIDI.

I've deleted the learned mode controller assignment. Still not seeing any sustain pedal MIDI input on the transport bar.

Just to recap

- Oxygen sustain pedal works fine in Mainstage 2

- Oxygen device is listed in Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

- Oxygen keyboard works fine Logic / just not sustain pedal - no MIDI input seen at Transport bar

- Not a new problem (i.e. it has never worked before)

- When I press the sustain pedal - the OXYGEN display says 127

- Have rebooted a couple times

Here's a screenshot of my Oxygen device setup

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo8jxjjgg5ttyk5/Screenshot%202014-04-10%2008.41.39.png

"Like" and no harm done. -I've never gotten home-brew CC assignments on keyboards to do anything other than waste studio time. What I'd like is a Sony Umatic-type of transport remote with real industrial-grade buttons and lights. Those were cool.

(sorry James, I just now (after posting) discovered that I somehow overlooked the fact that you had already posted an adequate reply :oops: )

Hello,

[attachment=0]screen2.png[/attachment]

Am I supposed to add it this way via LEARN and then assign a 'Parameter' value?

No, not at all. I don't know why you are thinking so. Sustain works directly, just like pitchbend wheel or modulation wheel or keys.

So why are you working via controller assignments? Don't answer that. You shouldn't. It's only needed if you want to give the sustain pedal a different function (remap it). Otherwise, sustain works directly on an instrument, no need for any 'mapping'. What you have done now by using the sustain as a learned command, the actual MIDI command will no longer go to any instrument as a sustain event, and you indeed will NOT see it in Logics' MIDI monitor. You need to delete that assignment (second screenshot) and forget about the whole CA window.

Also, you are sending your sustain on MIDI channel 16. Though it should work, it is better to set it channel 1.