Off Topic - Saving Sounds from External Synth into LP 9

rickenbacker360

I apologize for posting what is a bit off topic for Logic, per se, but I've got original sound bank(s) full of 128 patches, etc. in a Roland D-10 manufactured circa 1988. I also have some new patches I bought.

Before I use the new patches I want to save the old patches somehow. I do not have the proprietary card which the D-10 manual says is the way (insert card, write to it).

Simply, I don't know how to save my original sounds (using Logic)... :cry:

I must admit to being out of my element. Kindly be thorough as you can if you answer.

Thanks.

You can't just "save" your D10 sounds in Logic. You would have to record the sound of every single note and create a sampler instrument, mapping each sound to its corresponding key on the MIDI keyboard. And to do things properly you should consider creating velocity layers: recording the same note multiple times at different velocities, and map each sample to a specific velocity range.

As you can imagine this can be quite time consuming. Before Apple bought the company, Redmatica used to make a software called auto-sampler which would take care of doing all of that automatically for you. Now that the company is gone, it might be challenging to find a copy of the software.

I'm not sure what else there is on the market to help with sampling keyboards like that.

Hi

. I also have some new patches I bought.

Before I use the new patches I want to save the old patches somehow. I do not have the proprietary card which the D-10 manual says is the way (insert card, write to it).

You could get the Synth to transmit a SysEx bulk dump and record that into Logic. This used to work best with a project set to a slow tempo, if I remember correctly.

Simply replay that track (assigned to the appropriate MIDI Out ) to the Roland to replace the sound bank.

There are/were also some 3rd party utilities that can capture and replay SysEx dumps.

CCT