How to copy/replace plugin incl. settings in Logic Pro X?

Jan___

Hi everyone,

first post here so first of all I want to say thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge - I have already learned a LOT from you all by reading past threads!

My question: In Logic 9 I used to be able to copy a plugin OVER another instance of that (or any other) plugin, hence replacing it, by pressing option and command and then dragging the plugin over. I used to do this all the time, e.g. when I change the rhythm guitar tone on the "left" guitar and then drag and drop the changes over to the "right" guitar.

If I do the same thing in Logic Pro X now, it ADDs the plugin on the "target track" so that there are now two instances of the plugin, both active, on the target track. And I think it doesn't even carry over the settings form the original track.

So, does anyone maybe know how to achieve what I did before in Logic Pro X? I am probably just stupid but I checked the manual and googled it a few times and didn't find a solution…

Thanks so much in advance!

In Logic 9 I used to be able to copy a plugin OVER another instance of that (or any other) plugin, hence replacing it, by pressing option and command and then dragging the plugin over.

In Logic 9 that would also create a copy of the plug-in. You were probably pressing command only, not option.

In any case Eric is correct, in Logic X, do not hold any modifier when dragging the plug-in.

Thank you very much for your replies!

I probably wasn't clear though, sorry. I was not trying to move the plugin, but to duplicate it (including settings) onto another track, and possibly on top of another plugin (i.e. replacing said plugin on the target track, while keeping the plugin instance on the original track intact).

Consider the following scenario: I have two guitar tracks (panned hard L and R). On each of the tracks, there is one instance of the plugin "Amplitube" with the same setting on both. Now I decide that I want to change the sound. I open the instance of Amplitube on the L guitar and, say, dial down the bass and crank up the mids. Now I want to have the same - updated - settings on the R guitar as well. So what I used to do in Logic 9 is just copy / drag the plugin instance from the L guitar over the R guitar, holding both option and command while dragging. This copied the plugin and replaced the one on the target channel so that on R guitar there was now again one instance of Amplitube but with the updated settings.

I just tried this again and in Logic Pro X, just dragging it without holding any keys simply moves the plugin from the original track onto the new one. If I drag while holding option, it duplicates it onto the new track. That would be fine for me, except that it doesn't overwrite any existing plugins on the target track but instead adds another instance. I want to both duplicate it, and replace whatever was in that slot on the target channel. This used to be possible in Logic Pro 9, using both option and command while dragging.

I hope you can help me out with this... thanks again!!

Ah I understand now. I'm afraid you're correct and the behavior has changed from L9 to LX. Actually I believe we can call it a bug as the behavior is the same wether you Option-drag the plug-in with the frame around the 'destination' plug-in or with the line at the top of the 'destination' plug-in, when a reasonable expectation would be that getting the line at the top means you insert the plug-in at the top whereas getting a frame around the plug-in means you will either replace or swap that plug-in.

Hi David, great (or not so great) - thanks a lot for your feedback! I am not crazy then... ok let's call it a bug and hope it gets fixed. I'll check how I can report it and will do so. Anyone else who's bothered by this - could you please do the same? Thanks!