"Disc Too Slow" Message

andbassforall

I'd been having various issues with Logic such as losing takes, takes dumbing down 8bit for no reason etc. It was suggested a few times over that I make sure I'm using a 7200rpm drive. I had picked up a Lacie 7200rpm drive. For a few sessions, it was just fine. Yesterday. I had to navigate/edit 6 takes of drums. I put them in take folders and sliced and moved around as I saw fit. Each kit was only 8 tracks. For some reason, there was a slight delay to "play" when I hit the space bar. Never experienced that before on any of the 3 drives I've used Logic Pro on. Also, more than ever, I was getting the "Disk too Slow" message. I was running no plug in's. It couldn't get past one edited part without failing. Yet, later I opened up a session that had hundreds of plug in's and no problem including the CPU labor intensive Superior Drummer 2. Is this an internal or external HD issue at this point?

It is in fact formatted, Eric. When you say OSX Extended do you mean unpartitioned so it's not compatible with other systems?

David, I'm going to try those steps. I agree 25 regions. I've dealt with larger kits with hundreds of slices. If I change the steps of undo to "1", do you suggest I fly the tracks into a new session from scratch or see if it just improves my current environment in that session? Thanks all!

It is in fact formatted, Eric. When you say OSX Extended do you mean unpartitioned so it's not compatible with other systems?

No, he means formatting the drive using the Mac OS X Extended file system. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3509

David, I'm going to try those steps. I agree 25 regions. I've dealt with larger kits with hundreds of slices. If I change the steps of undo to "1", do you suggest I fly the tracks into a new session from scratch or see if it just improves my current environment in that session? Thanks all!

It's your call. If you're confident that you don't need to retrace your steps then you could do it in the current session. If you'd like to avoid problem and make sure you have a complete backup, do a save as, and change the number of undo steps in the newly saved file.