Controller data question

Soundhound

Specifically mod wheel, though I'm guess it would apply to any midi data stream?

I'm starting to use a bunch of orchestral instruments that use the mod wheel to control dynamics. If I record a region that uses the mod wheel, and then a region following that doesn't, I often don'tt hear the instrument when starting play at that later region, because the previous region ended with the mod wheel at zero I'm guessing? But when I look at the controller data that's not necessarily the case. I have to move the mod wheel to hear this later region, but how do I know where to move the mod wheel to?

So my question is, if I write mod wheel controller data for one region, do I have to write it for the whole track? That can't be right. I'm not understanding something basic, I assume. :oops: Thanks!

If I record a region that uses the mod wheel, and then a region following that doesn't, I often don'tt hear the instrument when starting play at that later region, because the previous region ended with the mod wheel at zero I'm guessing?
If the mod wheel controls the dynamic and you can't hear any sound when it's all the way down, then if the last mod wheel event sent to the instrument was 0, the instrument will not sound again until it gets a mod wheel event of another value. Does that make sense?

Thanks guys. That seemed to help a lot. Ski is that no reset checkbox in the same area as the clip length check box?

And do these two things have to be unchecked for every region I record?? (assuming I use controller data, which with these orchestral instruments is most of them). Ack!

Thanks David. In a possibly related issue, I'm using some keyswitching with these instruments to switch between instrument articulations, and I find that sometimes they respond to the keyswitches, recorded as notes in the midi stream, and sometimes they don't. It seems inconsistent. Is there an issue with this with Logic as well? In specific it's happening with Spitfire Albion, and I'm using the 'Locked to UACC KS' locking option, which is supposed to allow the instrument to be on the right articulation regardless of where you start the playhead. But even when the playhead passes the keyswich note, the right articulation doesn't come up sometimes. That's why I wondered if this is a known Logic bug?