replacement for ultrabeat

benw

as i have logic express, ive always wondered how good ultrabeat really is. so after watching a couple of videos off the logic cafe site, i got really interested, so i tried pro out at my apple store... ultrabeat rocks!

so, ive tried to find a freeware drum sequencer that i can either use and import the midi into logic once ive finished or that i can use inside logic, either through rewire or as an au plug in... i downloaded mr drum, hydrogen and Tseq x... but none of these really seem to work with logic as i would like... any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ben

I've got MicroToniq. It is great for Kraftwerky synth percussion & can get close to most 808 & the synthesised 909 sounds. It is also a good introduction to the more complex drum synthesis techniques of Ultrabeat. It has an internal step sequencer as well. However it cannot load samples, although you have the EXS for that in Express, don't you?

The free CM505 from Computer Music magazine is a multi voice drum synth arranged into a standard kit format but it doesn't have an internal sequencer. Again it is great for learning drum synthesis. There is an AU version but it might only be PPC, not Intel/UB.

thanks ill have a look at those.

anyone got any other reccomendations?

also anyone know about using the ones i already have with logic? if i have logic open and open the t seqx one, a window comes up in logic saying

"the number of midi inputs and outputs has changed.

Now 3 inputs and 2 outputs are available

... does this mean i can route the midi through logic?

i just downloaded the demo of GURU, and it totally wasn't functional.

i downloaded the MEDIUM version. Tried 3 times to get it to work exactly like the demo video said as well as the manual. it was cumbersome and very frustrating. i thought well it is 3 times installed and 20 minutes into trying to get something out of it.

if it is that boggling then i just gave up.

seems real cool in the video, but....