Logic compressor: Unexpected Gain reduction [SOLVED]

IainPetrie

This is probably down to a lack of understanding of how the platinum compressor operates...

I have a compressor on a bus. (unplug All in the pic). the signal peaks at -7db before instantiating the plugin

I add a platinum compressor. with threshold at 0db 1777763540_ScreenShot2014-04-21at20_54_21.png.983aa44f6d1ce5066903a6df4d124271.png

As you can see im getting some gain reduction. With the compressor threshold at 0db This happens only at low ratios (from 1.1:1 to about 2:1) If i lower the threshold to -6db i get gain reduction on all ratios. Its only 1-2db but shouldnt the compressor only work when the channel gain exceeds the threshold?

Your knee is set to 0.7, meaning compression will start kicking in before the threshold value is reached.

...but the signal didn't reach the threshold. The limiter in this case is irrelevant.

Let's say you have a peak signal at -30dB, a Ratio of 1.1:1, Peak/RMS set to Peak, and a knee of .01. The Platinum circuit will kick in around -11.5dB. This threshold again is no where near the peak signal, yet it appears to be reducing the gain.

Now, increase the ratio to a value of about 2.0:1 and the gain is not being reduced. However, here is where you can see what the knee is doing by toggling the knee value from 0.1 to 0.0. You will notice a drastic jump on the graph.

The 0 .1 value represents a 'hard' knee while a 1.0 represents a 'soft' knee value.

In any case, the threshold level is still no where near the peak value and therefore should not be reducing gain.

The Platinum compressor exhibits a strange behavior when using the 'knee' with a low 'Ratio' value.

...but the signal didn't reach the threshold.

.... when the knee > 1, the signal doesn't need to reach the threshold for the compressor to kick in.

That statement is correct, but in the case of the Platinum compressor (and the example given) the peak level isn't even in the pall park.

It is like the soft knee is acting more like a round-house kick.

That statement is correct, but in the case of the Platinum compressor (and the example given) the peak level isn't even in the pall park.

Are you basing this on the peak level at the output of the channel strip? Unless the compressor is the last plug-in on the channel strip, we have no way to know the level of the signal at the input of the compressor.