"learn new assignments" automatically assign sysex messages

johnhollis

Greetings-

I'm new to the group, hello all.

I am a drummer who records himself. I use Logic Pro 9, a drumkat controller through a Roland octa-capture interface. This setup allows me to record without getting up from behind the drums over and over for obvious reasons.

So: opt-K, key commands window open, I select a function (record, stop, play etc) and select "learn new assignment" and a sysex message automatically appears as the new assignment, and so I cannot provide a midi note message. this happens 'nearly' every time for any function. I cannot find a setting in logic to ignore sysex messages for the key commands utility. There is a midi filter setting for sysex but this apparently does not apply to command assignments. This happens when the drumkat itself is on, off, hooked up or disconnected. The messages are coming from my Roland interface, which Roland has told me is normal sysex "handshake" data which cannot be turned off.

To add to the confusion, I actually have been able to *intermittently* assign commands in the past through this utility, but no longer, cannot get past sysex data populating my "new assignment". And in fact, all of my midi assignments I had before have been suddenly erased. Is this a bug or a setting or...?

Mac Mini intel dual core 1.83, OS 10.6.8, Logic Pro 9.0, Roland octa-capture, Drumkat 3.8

**Perhaps I posted in the wrong forum- this looks to be specific to Logic Pro X

Hi,

Being a Roland product it's very likely that it's sending "active sensing" messages. You could take care of this using Midipipe (freeware). You would need to hijack the Octa-Capture's port (so that Logic doesn't see it at all), filter the offending messages, and let all other messages through and into Logic using Midipipe's virtual output port. It would look something like this (I would check the "System Exclusive" box just in case...or use the included "AList" tool to monitor the messages as they pass through):

125247225_ScreenShot2014-04-22at23_39_26.png.0a3269028682998993e7ffa994fbc98f.png

And this is what the input and outputs look like in Midipipe:

243512472_ScreenShot2014-04-22at23_33_06.png.15a491f802c0bfa891af0f96ca334410.png

J.

Thanks for the input!

So I installed Midipipe, selected Midi In and AList and checked both "systems exclusive" and "active sensing", hijaked the "octacapture midi" and "octacapture control", set the output of Midipipe to "Midipipe Output 1", unchecked "pass through".

As soon as i hijaked, Logic reported my control surface as no longer available, however, the same problem persists in the key commands window- still getting sysex messages assigned to "new assignment".

To see if Midipipe could fend off the messages I went ahead and checked every box in the Alist, and nothing seems to stop these messages from populating my assignments. :?:

Edited by johnhollis

As soon as i hijaked, Logic reported my control surface as no longer available, however, the same problem persists in the key commands window- still getting sysex messages assigned to "new assignment".

To see if Midipipe could fend off the messages I went ahead and checked every box in the Alist, and nothing seems to stop these messages from populating my assignments. :?:

What control surface? I thought you were dealing with a Roland Octa-Capture, which is just an audio interface/MIDI interface?

Anyway, try quitting Logic and hijack the Octa-Capture's port before you open Logic (I think it needs to be done that way with Logic 9...no longer the case with Logic 10).

J.

Ok yeah nevermind the control surface, I was mentioning that because it was an indication that the signal was indeed being interrupted.

Anyhow- yes that worked! I isolated the problem as well- hijacking the "Octa-capture CNTL" port and filtering "active sensing" BEFORE launching Logic brought the problem to bay.

Thank you Jordi. :!: :!: