Allow bounce in place on multiout instrument AUX

sambosun

Hey J.

Yes I know but I mean Bounce Region in Place.

The method you've described in the thread leans more toward drum kit stemming.

I'm working on a movie right now where I heavily use kontakt. One of my situations is this:

One kontakt instance with 16 symphobia fx instruments wired to 15 single AUX channels coming from that instance. Since Logic 9.1.6 we are able to add AUX tracks to the arrangement/tracks view and of them automatically assigned to the midi channels of the multiiout instrument.

I'm heavily bouncing and mangling regions in place to form unique source sounds.

A workaround is to use New Track with next midi channel to be able to bounce regions in place but I'll end up with 30 tracks for this one instance alone.

Another workaround is to use kontakt as single channel instance like we use exs24. Now that I have this awesome new MacPro with 64GB this shouldn't be a problem.

But still this feature would be nice to have. Because not everyone is using MacPros with 32gb +. Don't you think?

The method you've described in the thread leans more toward drum kit stemming.

Yes, in the thread I linked, the example is for a multi-out drum instrument. However, this also applies to multi-timbral, multi-output instruments like Kontakt.

One of my situations is this: One kontakt instance with 16 symphobia fx instruments wired to 15 single AUX channels coming from that instance.

OK. So assuming each Symphobia instrument on your Kontakt instance is set to respond to a unique MIDI channel, and the data in your regions for each track is also on the expected MIDI channel, all you need to do is move those regions to the main instrument track (the one normally set to MIDI channel 1), change the channel parameter in that track's inspector to All, and Bounce the Track in Place checking the "Including Instrument Multi-outputs" and "As Additional Tracks" boxes.

You'll end up with discreetly-bounced audio regions (on separate tracks) corresponding to each instrument on your Kontakt multi.

Since Logic 9.1.6 we are able to add AUX tracks to the arrangement/tracks view and of them automatically assigned to the midi channels of the multiiout instrument.

Logic 9.1.7, actually.

J.

Hey Jordi,

I appreciate your workflow comments. But my point is still that this should be improved. I went through all that you've mentioned in the past. One other workaround is to use kontakt as multi timbal in the tracks area but route through the multiiout AUX channels and you will be able to bounce in place as well. So no need to use the first track and move regions around.

Best

Sam

Edited by sambosun

Hmm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean...

One other workaround is to use kontakt as multi timbal in the tracks area but route through the multiiout AUX channels .

That sounds pretty much like what I mentioned in my previous post using Bounce Track in Place...except for this part which is a little vague:

and you will be able to bounce in place as well. So no need to use the first track and move regions around.

What are you doing exactly?

But my point is still that this should be improved.

Sure, I agree it would be nice to be able to bounce the audio of any of those outputs (using the Bounce Regions in Place command), and not just the main instrument output.

J.

• 5 months later...
So assuming each Symphobia instrument on your Kontakt instance is set to respond to a unique MIDI channel, and the data in your regions for each track is also on the expected MIDI channel

Jordi, any thoughts on a quick and easy way to set MIDI data to the expected channel (i.e., the channel of the Track object it's on)? Using the Event List editor can be time-consuming for projects with a high track count, the MIDI Region Normalize function doesn't change the channel on software instruments, and the Environment Sequencer Input "Channelize" option seems to have no effect.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thanks for the reply, Jordi. I'm kind of hoping Apple will get the Channelize option in the Sequencer Input Object working, which would take of it all automatically. Guess I can always hope...

You're welcome. Now that you mention it, you could (in the meantime) change the MIDI channel as needed on your controller or set something up in the environment for the same purpose.

J.

True. I had considered that, but in the heat of scoring, remembering to continually change the controller transmitting channel to match the track is disruptive and easy to forget, at least for my brain! Same in the Environment, I think; changing the channel to match the track would be required, right? Some automatic function is probably what I'll need...something I don't need to keep thinking about.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...
+ 1

It would be great to BIP directly from the sub channels of multi out instruments.

I would also really like a Midi FX slot on available on those sub channels. They have Audio FX slots, so why no Midi FX?

+1 to both. Have you sent Feedback to Apple? I just did.