External Hard Drives

I just got things up and running but I'm getting the Disk too slow or System Overload every other time I try to do something. Even just playing around with a single Drummer track I get it. I got a i7 2.3 macmini. I put the sound libraries on an external hard drive, a Toshiba USB 3 external hard drive. But I'm thinking the problem is that it is just a 5400 hard drive. It's supposed to be super duper fast, but something isn't working right. Should I have used a 7200? Lastly, I'm still using 4MB of RAM, but I'll be upgrading tomorrow to 16MB or RAM.

Thoughts?

The guy at the computer store was telling me that there are drives faster than 7200. What about those? I've tried to do everything right in setting up this rig. These drives were supposed to be really fast. Supposedly you can transfer 400 songs (mp3s I guess) in 52 seconds. But maybe it is like the difference between a 100 meter dash and a 1k race?

Those look good...for backups and storage.

The guy at the computer store was telling me that there are drives faster than 7200. What about those?

Solid State Drives (SSD). Those are much faster than any spinning drive but they're also expensive. Go for one of those If you can afford it. Thunderbolt, USB3 are good and fast choices for type of interface (type of connection). Firewire 800 is OK but not as good.

Lastly, I'm still using 4MB of RAM, but I'll be upgrading tomorrow to 16MB or RAM.

Like triplets said, more RAM is always better. You meant GB's (Gigabytes) not MB's (Megabytes).

J.

I've been getting these Disk Too Slow erros even with a SSD.

And I'll only be working with maybe two or three tracks, recording my roommate singing and playing guitar using a Focusrite 2i2. Nothing unusually going on, just two tracks with minimal processing, usually with presets on the tracks which I'll tweak later on.

And I'll only be working with maybe two or three tracks, recording my roommate singing and playing guitar using a Focusrite 2i2. Nothing unusually going on, just two tracks with minimal processing, usually with presets on the tracks which I'll tweak later on.

You shouldn't be getting "disk too slow" messages with a SSD.

What do the CPU and HD meters show you when you get these messages?

J.

So I gotta buy something tomorrow. What am I going to buy? A 7200? Or should I go for a SSD? I have a vague memory reading a while ago that there was a problem with SSDs for the macmini, but maybe I'm wrong. I can't remember. In the description of this section of the forum you will find the question: What hard drive?

That's definitely not the expected behavior: not with a HDD, even less with a SSD. I recommend you ask for help troubleshooting your issue in a new thread.