Little Environment Problem

migueluranga

I have a simple midi monitor from which I need to make around 20 connections to different places. However, for some reason the cablings do not work after the number 15th down. Contradictorily, I have another monitor with more connections than that, and it does work. I've tested many different cabling scenarios and it always stops working on the 15th cable. Ever heard of something like this?

Hello, thanks for your reply. Hmm, Im using logic 9. I will bring a screen capture later, since Im using different computers. (the other one doesn't have a wifi card)

But after some more thorough testing, I have a hypothesis.

It seems like whenever logic's environments objects receive midi signals that come from logic's own sequencer... these signals can only be split into 15 different midi paths. No more. It doesn't matter what combination, or which objects. You can only split a midi signal 15 times when it comes from the internal sequencer.

can anybody else confirm this?

I can't confirm the number fifteen. I can confirm that Logic has a functionally obscure limit to Environment cabling. I say "functionally obscure" because people can post a specific limit number. In my experience, I was certain I was either under the cable limit (and it would not work) or over it (and it continued to work).

Then add macros to the cable path. How many cables are packaged in that? How should I know? I've got macros in macros, for that matter. Sometime long ago I set out to write music and design sound, and now I'm counting little nubby things on the end of homely boxes?

I forged ahead until this happened: I created MIDI signal paths where the final (sounding) instrument sometimes got the notes, and sometimes it didn't, as verified in monitor objects. Where did that leave me diagnostically?

Lastly, Logic X has not played well with my Environment. Apple tech support told me that they could not guarantee files with macros from previous versions. My Logic 9 files are inoperable unless I nuke my Environment. Your mileage may vary. But if you anticipate a move to Logic X -- which is admittedly awesome -- be advised that large Environments already pushing limits in Logic 9 may be an upgrade kludge.

Hello, thanks for your reply. Hmm, Im using logic 9. I will bring a screen capture later, since Im using different computers. (the other one doesn't have a wifi card)

But after some more thorough testing, I have a hypothesis.

It seems like whenever logic's environments objects receive midi signals that come from logic's own sequencer... these signals can only be split into 15 different midi paths. No more. It doesn't matter what combination, or which objects. You can only split a midi signal 15 times when it comes from the internal sequencer.

can anybody else confirm this?

Have you tried to append another Monitor object after (to one of the output prongs) of the limited Monitor object? To check if that adds extra outputs (in total)...