Pro 8, Pro X, plus Arturia both working together on one iMac

Dukerbud8888

Hi there!

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before or if anyone is interested so I thought I would post it all the same.

I have an old iMac (2009 circa) and I was able to load Logic Pro 8 and Logic Pro X on the same iMac. I didn't intend to do this it just happened by accident. Both work flawlessly and I am able to use all of my Arturia sounds on both programs at the same time. Hopefully someone will find this useful so I will go step by step on how I did it.

A bit of history:

I own a 24" iMac (2009) era 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 Gig Ram, 1TB Hard Drive. Purchased Logic Pro 8 and Mainstage (all on 8 install discs). I did upgrade from 10.4 Tiger? when I bought it to buying the Snow leopard 10.6 and installed that. Logic(8)/Mainstage worked perfect with the upgrade.

I also own a MacBookPro (2013) with OSX Mavericks 10.9.2, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 Gig Ram, and 250gig Flash Drive. Purchased Logic ProX and Mainstage 3 (online) at that time.

Here is an explanation of the fluke:

First, I erased my entire hard disk plus operating system on my iMac (backed up all data including Logic Pro 8 and all of it's samples to an external hard drive of course). Then I reinstalled with the install disk Snow Leopard 10.6. 8 for a fresh new clean slate. Once that was done instead of reinstalling with the 8 Logic discs I just dragged the Logic 8 app from the external drive to my apps folder. Once I typed in my license number I was good to go. From then on I just dragged my sounds/samples from the external drive to the appropriate folders and voila. All worked well.

A couple of days later I was reading in the forum that I could move up to Mavericks....so, I did that thinking I would be able to use Logic pro X and say bon voyage to Logic 8 since most if not all in the forums mentioned that I wouldnt be able to use 32 bit sounds/samples/programs whatnot. So I took the plunge and installed Mavericks online, then Logic Pro X and finally Mainstage 3. All worked fine. I knew I would have to get the latest updates from Arturia for my CS-80, Arp 2600, Prophet V, Moog Modular, Minimoog and Jupiter 8. and yes they (obviously) worked fine. So there are some 32-bit sounds that i can't use on Logic Pro X but surprisingly my sounds and program for Logic 8 still work flawlessly. So If I ever need to swap between the two and record the 32 bit sounds on Logic pro 8 and save the file onto logic Pro X I can. It doesn't happen very often but it is nice to have both right on hand with one iMac. In the end I will stick with Logic Pro X as that was my intention but it is nice to have that flexibility if needed.

I have read lots of messages and threads on how this can't be done and people getting ticked because they upgraded to Pro X and wanted their Logic Pro 8 or 9 back because of the whole 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue and they can't now.

I am not sure if this is common knowledge and I'm not the one to discover the holy grail but it is here for anyone who has the time and patience to try it. I really had no intention of getting Logic Pro X on my old iMac and was very happy when I did. I used to just use a cable and mirror my iMac from my MacBook pro well now I don't have to. Again it was truly by accident and a fluke to me that Logic Pro 8 and my old sounds still works in my Maverick surroundings.

I hope this helps someone who has the same goal.

Happy recording

Darrin