Help with playing software instruments with Logic Pro

Tallmaleuk

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie with regards to Logic Pro X and I need some help to play and record the software instruments/pre-set sounds that come with Logic Pro X. I am using a Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer as the main keyboard in my home recording set up and this is connected to an audio interface (Steinberg UR22). I have also connected my Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer to my Apple Imac computer with a USB cable for MIDI purposes but for some reason when I try to play a pre-set sound/software instrument in Logic Pro X I cannot hear any sound at all. Does anyone know why this could be?

When I am trying to use/record a software instrument/pre-set Logic Pro X sound I first select "New Software Instrument Track". I then select a software instrument from the Library of sounds on the left pane. I can see the selected software instrument on the track I have created but when I play my synthesizer I do not hear this sound.

On my Korg Triton Extreme I have selected MIDI Channel 1 and unchecked Local Control On box. There is also an option to select a preference for the MIDI Clock and this gives you three options:

1) Internal

2) External MIDI

3) External USB

With this section I am not sure which should be selected? So any advice about this problem would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Hi

I'm new to LP and recently purchase a Korg Kronos, here's how I do it on the KK connected directly to my Mac.

Ensure you have the Korg drivers installed.

I go to Seq Mode so I have 16 channels, if you are in program mode you only have 1 channel.

In LP I choose External Midi Track and choose channel 1, this will be channel 1 on the Korg in Seq Mode, I leave the midi settings as they are in Global.

On the Korg choose your instrument on channel 1, as long as you have your Audio set up correctly in LP, it should work.

Create another external midi track using channel 2 in LP and choose channel 2 on the Korg etc..

This works for me, however, I would like to choose the KK instruments from within LP although I believe you need to create an LP Environment to do this or have a plugin.

Search for Ed Fenner on YouTube and he has a video on how to set up audio in LP for the KK which shouldn't be too different from the Triton, I think.

He is also developing a utility to get the sounds from the KK into LP.

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it works for me on the KK and others on this forum may be able to assist you better and or correct my method.

I am still researching and learning as I go along with help on these forums.

Hope this help and good luck

Steve

Also be aware that LP will not retain the sounds you have assigned in the midi channel of the Korg once you power off, this is my goal and why I'm assuming you need a specific environment in LP (in other words a copy of all your banks from the keyboard). Also if you use an Environment created by someone else, it does not reflect what's on your keyboard if you have created or updated new sounds etc.

I have been looking for some in depth guidance on how to create an environment but still looking.

@Tallmaleuk, if you use the musical typing window (Window > Show Musical Typing) in Logic, can you play the software instrument track?

Ensure you have the Korg drivers installed.

Yes, that's important, and that could very well be the issue in Tallmaleuk's case.

I go to Seq Mode so I have 16 channels, if you are in program mode you only have 1 channel.

In LP I choose External Midi Track and choose channel 1, this will be channel 1 on the Korg in Seq Mode, I leave the midi settings as they are in Global.

On the Korg choose your instrument on channel 1, as long as you have your Audio set up correctly in LP, it should work.

Create another external midi track using channel 2 in LP and choose channel 2 on the Korg etc..

This works for me, however, I would like to choose the KK instruments from within LP although I believe you need to create an LP Environment to do this or have a plugin.

Search for Ed Fenner on YouTube and he has a video on how to set up audio in LP for the KK which shouldn't be too different from the Triton, I think.

He is also developing a utility to get the sounds from the KK into LP.

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but it works for me on the KK and others on this forum may be able to assist you better and or correct my method.

Steve, all of those directions are for using the Korg's internal sound, but in this case, Tallmaleuk wants to use the MIDI keyboard of the Korg to trigger software instruments that are in Logic, so none of those directions help (at least not for that specific goal).

On my Korg Triton Extreme I have selected MIDI Channel 1 and unchecked Local Control On box. There is also an option to select a preference for the MIDI Clock and this gives you three options:

1) Internal

2) External MIDI

3) External USB

With this section I am not sure which should be selected?

Leave it on "Internal" - but that shouldn't make much difference in your situation.

Hi David Nahmani,

Yes when I select the Show Musical Typing I can hear the software instruments and play them. Its just that my external synthesizer the Korg Triton Extreme cannot play them. When I try to play them using the Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer I get no sound at all.

What should the settings on Logic Pro be for this? I am assuming that you first select "New Software Instrument Track" right?

Are there any additional settings I need to make sure I have in the preferences for example?

Any other advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

What should the settings on Logic Pro be for this? I am assuming that you first select "New Software Instrument Track" right?

There really aren't settings for this in Logic Pro, you should play any MIDI keyboard connected to your Mac and you should hear any software instrument track that is R-enabled (Red R button) in Logic. So your description of creating a software instrument track and choosing a patch in the Library should be all that's necessary to be able to play that patch with your MIDI keyboard.

So that leaves us with the driver: did you install the most recent driver for your keyboard? You can find that on the manufacturer's website, "download" or "support" sections...?

Hi David,

Yes I installed the latest Korg driver for the Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer. I also just checked the USB cable that I have connected the Korg Triton Extreme and my Apple Imac computer and thats working fine too so I am really stumped at why I cannot hear any of the pre-set sounds from Logic Pro X.

The USB cable should be enough to transfer MIDI between Logic Pro X and the Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer right?

Many thanks.

I have two USB cables one from the Audio Interface and another I was using to connect the synthesizer to the computer. I just swapped them around and the USB cable which I had previously used successfully with the audio interface was tried with the synthesizer and computer but I still got no sound! But I know that cable is definitely working successfully as it has powered the audio interface without any problems.

Hey David,

I just discovered something interesting which might show that the MIDI connection is working even though I cannot hear any sound. I read somewhere that when you hit a note or chord on your external MIDI keyboard that a small white dot and/or a chord name appears in the right hand corner of the digital display (to the right of the Time Signature) Well just now I noticed that when I hit a note on the keyboard that a white dot and/or a chord name was appearing there. So I think the media connection through the USB is working successfully but I still cannot hear any sound.

Oh my god as I am writing this message to you I think I have gotten it to work. Don't ask me how as I was just about to give up on it tonight but I just created a New Software Track and selected a Guitar sound and I hit my Korg Triton Extreme synthesizer and it worked for the first time and I actually heard the pre-set sound I was playing.

Thanks again for all your help as you can imagine I am very happy!

Hi David,

It could have also been a loose USB cable because of course I swapped around the USB cables to check them out too. And when you mean the instrument? Referring to the Vintage B3 Organ is that a pre-set on Logic Pro X? Or are you referring to my synthesizer?

If thats a pre-set sound on Logic Pro X then no. I had tried numerous pre-set sounds and none of them worked. If you were referring to my synthesizer that is a Korg Triton Extreme.

Many thanks.

No David it was affecting all the pre-set sounds and so it appeared to be a general midi problem. I am just glad its working now to be honest as I had almost given up hope!

There is one more issue I need to resolve though. I want to sync Logic Pro X with my Korg Triton Extreme so that when I am recording audio tracks from my Korg Triton Extreme to Logic Pro X I do not have to press the record button on Logic Pro X and then press the Start/Stop button on the Korg Triton Extreme for the backing track to start playing so that it can be recorded.

Have you any ideas about how I can sync these two things?

Many thanks.

There is one more issue I need to resolve though. I want to sync Logic Pro X with my Korg Triton Extreme so that when I am recording audio tracks from my Korg Triton Extreme to Logic Pro X I do not have to press the record button on Logic Pro X and then press the Start/Stop button on the Korg Triton Extreme for the backing track to start playing so that it can be recorded.

Please start a new thread for each new issue to keep them separated. Thank you!

Hi David,

Of course I will post any future new questions on the main Logic Pro X board as a new item.

Just one thing for some reason today again when I tried to play a software instrument it did not work. Despite me using the same settings as yesterday when I tried to play a software instrument no sound was being made and nothing was appearing on the digital display at the top of the screen either.

I decided to re-start my Apple Imac computer and then open Logic Pro X again and I created a new idea and the MIDI started working again and I was able to use my external keyboard to play the software instruments.

One more thing sometimes when I change the settings on my Korg Triton Extreme to configure it to be the external MIDI keyboard I can see a pop up on my Apple Desktop screen which says something like 2 Outputs and Inputs are available or something similar (I cannot remember the exact wording).

Because I had to re-start my Apple Imac and re-open Logic Pro X does that indicate that there is some issue with the Korg Drivers? Or Apple drivers?

I was just interested in why I have to re-start my computer for me to get the external Keyboard to be able to play the software instruments.

Many thanks.

• 1 year later...