Not understanding crossfades [SOLVED]

jster

I assumed that crossfades would work as follows: one sound is getting softer while another sound is getting louder.

But when I read about them in Logic, it seems that what is happening is that one sound quickly goes to silent and quickly after that another sound quickly gets louder. But I don't see anything "cross" about that. That seems to be just a fade out followed by a fade in.

But Logic's little image on the track seems more in line with my original intuition. Is Logic secretly making use of some audio that is not represented in the workspace to carry out crossfades that are in line with my original intuition?

I assumed that crossfades would work as follows: one sound is getting softer while another sound is getting louder.

Yes, that's what a crossfade is, and that's how they work in Logic as well.

But when I read about them in Logic, it seems that what is happening is that one sound quickly goes to silent and quickly after that another sound quickly gets louder. But I don't see anything "cross" about that. That seems to be just a fade out followed by a fade in.

Not sure if that's the issue in your case, but you need audio data after the first region end in the first audio file, and audio data before the second region start in the second audio file.

Is Logic secretly making use of some audio that is not represented in the workspace to carry out crossfades that are in line with my original intuition?

Not secretly, in fact your fade shows you this: you can see the fade in start before the 2nd region start: that means it starts playing audio data from audio file #2 at that position (if any is present) even though Logic doesn't display that audio data's waveform. And you can see the fade out stop after the 1st region end: that means it continues playing audio data (if any is present) from the first audio file past the end of the first region. For example on the picture below, Logic starts playing file 2 at 5 1 1 1 and stops playing file 1 at 7 1 1 1. If there's no audio in file 1 after 6 1 1 1 and no audio in file 2 before 6 1 1 1 then it'll sound like a slight fade out of file 1 followed by a slight fade in of file 2.

1094574868_ScreenShot2014-05-07at3_07_31PM.png.0043a130ef40a4085f67e01590a4fe2a.png

Hope that helps?

But now that I look at it, that picture looks a bit scary. Seems like region 1 could still drop pretty abruptly.

I'm not sure what you mean. If the audio inside file 1 drops abruptly at 6 1 1 1 then yes, the result will sound abrupt... it all depends on the material you're fading in and out. The fade just shows you the progression of the gain applied to the first and second regions. But applying a lot of gain on silence will still yield silence...

Just picture yourself being a DJ. The first song you're spinning is almost over, and you have the second song ready to go. You press play on the second turntable, and you start fading out turntable 1 while you start fading in turntable 2. If turntable 2 is outputting sound, and song 1 continues playing meaning turntable 1 is still outputing sound during the duration of the crossfade, then you'll have a smooth crossfade. If on the other hand you start fading in turntable 2 before song 2 has started and you're almost all the way up on the fader when the song starts, you'll get an abrupt start. If song 1 stops while you're still fairly high up on the fader controlling turntable 1 then you'll get an abrupt stop even if you continue fading out turntable 1 progressively: it's too late and you're fading out silence.

Hope that helps?

Yeah, I was just being an idiot. Yes of course everything is fine. It is just that I had watched a four or five videos an even one on pro tools and nobody mentioned the unseen audio so it took me two tries to get it straight. Thanks again.