How to directly open a specific Alternative?

bluestarstudios
Go to solution Solved by Ploki,

I'm a music supervisor currently working on a film where we're setting up all the songs in Logic Pro X. I want to use Alternatives as the separate reels for the film that share the same assets. I can create the alternatives with ease, however is there an easy way to load alternative 2 right off the bat without having to first load the latest alternative (say alternative 5) to then switch to alt 2 and wait again?

Thanks,

David

in your case ... needing immediate access to any version at any time ...

i think you would be better off saving your projects as "folders" instead of "packages"

"packaged' projects are nice for tidiness and simplicity , but they are pretty much useless when it comes to directly accessing any specific version or alternate

wheres as project "folders" give immediate access to all the various assets in your project .

individual audio tracks , sequentially numbered backups. etc.

every time you hit save a new sequentially numbered "back up" is created ....

and of course if you want "alternates" you just have to use "save as " and rename or number them yourself.

this way you don't need to open Logic first , then switch and hunt for alternates.....you can just go straight to the project folder and double-click on any alternate version or sequentially saved back up version you want ..... to open it up right away in Logic.

i think you would be better off saving your projects as "folders" instead of "packages"

"packaged' projects are nice for tidiness and simplicity , but they are pretty much useless when it comes to directly accessing any specific version or alternate wheres as project "folders" give immediate access to all the various assets in your project .individual audio tracks , sequentially numbered backups. etc.

Not quite. In Logic Pro X, it doesn't matter if you save your projects as "Package" or "Folder", neither method will let you open Project Alternatives (nor Project Backups) from the Finder.

you just have to use "save as "

If you use "save as", that's another story, because you're creating independent versions of the original project (what Atlas007 suggested).

J.

@ fisherking and jordi...yup ... my bad

..... sorry bluestarstudios

guess i spoke too soon..... i haven't really worked on much since moving fromLP9 to LPX.

i guess i was just assuming things that are not correct....... my apologies

what i actually have in the new folders is about 20 songs i moved in from LP9 ...

those backups in the folder are indeed LP9 icons not LPX

Edited by 1pauper1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
If you hold down the option key and open the project (double-click) you will be presented with a list of backups that you can open. If you have alternatives saved they should appear in the Quick Look window.

This^^^^^!!

I discovered the 'quick look' way of opening Alternative Projects accidentally a few years back and have been using it a lot but it seems to be broken since maybe 10.5. Nothing happens when I select a backup or alternative.

The method of holding alt/option and double-clicking the project works well - thanks for this. Everyone needs to be alerted to the fact that you need to open Logic and choose the project from the file menu for this method to work however.

I was holding 'option' and double clicking the project from the finder and wondered why it wasn't working!!!

...I discovered the 'quick look' way of opening Alternative Projects accidentally a few years back and have been using it a lot but it seems to be broken since maybe 10.5. Nothing happens when I select a backup or alternative....

It seems to work fine here on 10.5.1, what version are you on ?

...I discovered the 'quick look' way of opening Alternative Projects accidentally a few years back and have been using it a lot but it seems to be broken since maybe 10.5. Nothing happens when I select a backup or alternative....

It seems to work fine here on 10.5.1, what version are you on ?

Interesting... I’m on 10.6.1 with Catalina. Maybe it’s just my system? Nothing happens when I click on the quick look alternatives. If I double-click one, it just loads up the last opened version.