ADAT HD24 sync to Logic Pro X

DAR Fritz

Greetings- I'm working on a project with a songwriter who is recording scratch vocals and guitar along with a rough drum track I'm creating with Superior Drummer 2.0. I need to transfer the the tracks to an ADAT HD24 so another engineer can record additional tracks. Once he's finished recording, the tracks are coming back to me to load back into Logic where I will mix the project. I need to have the tracks snyc up so the drum parts I'm working on will line up. I have a Focusrite Pro40 which has ADAT optical in/out as my interface with the ADAT HD24.

I'm trying to sync Logic to the ADAT and not sure how to do it. I found some info from Apple that says to CTRL click the sync button to enable Midi Machine control (MMC) but when I do that nothing shows up. I've also CTRL clicked the icon in an audio track I set up which is supposed to have a MMC icon which also does not show up. I've gone into preferences and tried selecting/deselecting transmit MTC, MMC ect.. to see if that might do something and again, it doesn't.

Can anyone help me figure out how to this? It would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Fritz

The HD24 can generate 30 fps MIDI Time Code from its built-in MIDI output on the back. I'm trying to figure why when I CTRL click the sync button to enable Midi Machine control (MMC) in Logic Pro X nothing shows up. Maybe I have to have the ADAT HD24 hooked up via MIDI to my Focusrite Pro40? I haven't tried this since I don't have the ADAT HD24 here yet.

Also wondering why when I CTRL click the icon in an audio track the MMC icon is not available. I'm trying to have Logic set up in advance of the transfer session tomorrow.

Sorry it took so long to reply. In the past, I have successfully used LTC timecode on an audio track and and use Lockstep software to generate the MTC and but had never tried through midi devices. After a lot of playing around, I finally got it to work with an HD-24 generating midi timecode into an RME ADI-648 Adat to Madi Convertor's 'midi port' then through an RME Madiface USB (I usually use this setup for live multi tracking). I also tried using a Presonus Lightbridge using the midi port but no success. Not sure why…

Sorry, I din't have a Focusrite Pro 40 handy :(

Also, you should make sure you setup Logic Pro's synchronization parameters properly. i.e.: the timecode settings have to be within the range of the timecode being generated by the HD-24 otherwise you won't see your cursor and it won't record or play. I also customize the toolbar to include the 'sync' button and of course display the timecode. BTW, the behaviour of the sync button is a little strange. If you engage the sync button and then press play it will disengage sync and play from the last cursor position and not at the incoming timecode position . You have to engage the sync button once it's playing. I would suggest to give yourself some time to experiment before you start your session. Good luck. Sorry again for the late response.. long day editing.

Many thanks for the reply raugert!!!

The problem I was having was not "seeing" the sync button. I finally found it after I created another transport and stretched it. When I control clicked the button the MMC info was there. Don't know why the button didn't show up after I selected it in the customize transport window. I use to sync DA88's to Pro tools with a JL Cooper PPS1 back in the day so if I can get the ADAT HD24 to "talk" to Logic through the Pro40 I should be able to offset the MTC (hopefully).

One thing that puzzles me though is why I can't see the MMC icon when I control click the icon in the track header. Any ideas on how to make this appear? Do I have to have that icon in the track header to make this work?

Thanks again raugert!

As far as I know, the only 'sync' button is in the top control bar and not the track header. It works for me if I just click the button to engage external MTC. there also an option in the 'Project settings- synchronization, to have the button always engaged.

As far as Midi Machine Code (MMC) icon in the track header, I would think this is only when using MIDI control functions and not for syncing Timecode. I've never configured any ''tracks'' for syncing Timecode…

As far as I know, the only 'sync' button is in the top control bar and not the track header. It works for me if I just click the button to engage external MTC. there also an option in the 'Project settings- synchronization, to have the button always engaged.

As far as Midi Machine Code (MMC) icon in the track header, I would think this is only when using MIDI control functions and not for syncing Timecode. I've never configured any ''tracks'' for syncing Timecode…

Thanks again raugert. Kinda what I thought MMC icon in the track header. Now that I have the sync button visible and being able to turn on MTC I should be good to go for my transfer session.