Splitting a bar into two?

AllTheButtons

My track (synced to video) has a 5/4 bar, with a pause on the final beat (the rest of the song is in 4/4).

I need to change the length of this pause (as the video has changed), and I figure the easiest way would be to split it - so I've got a normal 4/4 bar, and then a 1/4 bar at a different tempo.

Is there any way to do this? Or am I missing an easier way of achieving the same thing? I am trying to avoid the complexity of inserting/cutting bars and then shifting all the audio about, as I often find it has unintended consequences!

I managed to do it... but it seemed like a convoluted workflow. Posting it here in case it's useful to anyone else, but is there a simpler way?

This is what I did:

1. I changed the 5/4 bar into 4/4

2. I placed the locators around the following bar, put the timeline at the beginning of it, selected all regions, and clicked “Insert Section”.

3. I selected “Move” in the dialogue asking if I wanted to move global events.

4. I changed the resulting new bar to 1/4, and deleted the (now blank) bar after.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Doing the above left me with subsequent automation that's out of time. Over 9 bars late, in fact! I don't even understand how that's possible. :cry: