Jump to content

Very bizarre ongoing MIDI issue when importing files L9/LX


nightkrawler

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

I'm having a very weird issue for sometime now and really hope I can find a solution or workaround.

Please bare with me as it's a very strange issue and requires some explanation.

 

In my day to day work I work a lot with sourced MIDI files. As a result, I often have to drag from the finder into my Logic session.

However, after dragging a certain arbitrary amount of MIDI files into my session, the MIDI tracks just stops working properly.

I create a new track, and the region will not play even though there are notes, all I see is the MIDi I/O on my Fireface light up.

I can play the track via the MIDI keyboard and get sound, it's just that no regions on that track will play. I even see the meters running on that channel during playback, just no audio output comes out from these tracks.

 

All the previously created MIDI tracks work fine, but any newly creates will not play the regions. As mentioned, this seems to happen after a "threshold" of MIDI tracks have been imported.

 

As an example, my current session is working fine. I can create new tracks and draw new midi regions, as many as I want, all works well. However, if I drag just ONE more region in it from the Finder - the MIDI will break and any tracks I create after that will not playback the MIDI regions.

 

I've tried opening the session in LX, same issue. Tried another computer, same issue.

 

Anyone have any ideas on this??

 

I can upload a Logic session with the "corrupt" MIDI track later tonight if it helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Attached is a session with the broken midi channel. I deleted all channels except the broken example one.

What's also strange is after deleting every channel, creating new midi tracks now works as expected again - however if I had left them all the problem would have persisted

 

Please let me know if I any more info is need, would really kill to find a fix for this!

CORRUPT MIDI SESSION.zip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked your file. I found that there were a whole bunch of "GM Device" multi instrument objects in your environment (when opening the MIDI Instr. layer there seemed to be a single object but they were in fact all stacked on top of each other). I not sure if it's related, but somehow the notes from that region on the EVP88 track were being sent outside Logic, even though the actual EVP88 track was assigned to its corresponding software instrument channel strip object in the environment (not to a multi-instrument object).

 

The issue with the multiple multi-instrument objects seems to be related to adding MIDI files to existing tracks in a project.

 

That's all I can say for now.

 

J.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I checked your file. I found that there were a whole bunch of "GM Device" multi instrument objects in your environment (when opening the MIDI Instr. layer there seemed to be a single object but they were in fact all stacked on top of each other). I not sure if it's related, but somehow the notes from that region on the EVP88 track were being sent outside Logic, even though the actual EVP88 track was assigned to its corresponding software instrument channel strip object in the environment (not to a multi-instrument object).

 

The issue with the multiple multi-instrument objects seems to be related to adding MIDI files to existing tracks in a project.

 

That's all I can say for now.

 

J.

 

Wow thank you Jordi, you seem to have led me in the right direction. When I delete all the additional MIDI GM devices except the first one (set to Channel: All), I can drag and drop as many more MIDI files into the session on new tracks and they all work!

 

However, every time I drag a new MIDi file into the session it creates a new GM MIDI device in the environment. Is this normal behavior? Is there some threshold of these devices that causes Logic to choke? Everything appears to work correctly without any of these GM devices at all and I rarely if ever use multi instrument midi tracks in my projects

 

Regardless, deleting these appears to solve the issue for now - I will report back after doing some more testing

 

Thank you! This has literally been bugging me for years and cost me hours of work to date

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...