Set up MIDI track

Vulpes

I am beginning with logic & want to set up a basic MIDI track. I have searched though the manual & found nothing. Logic is nothing like the software I have used before. How do you set up a proper MIDI track? What are the steps? How do you choose patches? Are there patches in Logic? I am ready to give up on this.

Well, I have learned a little more, but nothing's been happening yet. I don't quite understand all the terms such as adding a virtual instrument. Also, I have imported a MIDI file from my keyboard & my release time control changes (damper pedal) are recognised by Logic, but not as release time changes. I also have recorded Garageband's damper pedal & opened it in Logic. It comes up as PitchBd which I take to be a "pitch bend" although it only works release time. So the pitchbend changes work for the MIDI track, but I would like to get the control changes from my keyboard converted to this PitchBd. Any suggestions? BTW I am currently using instruments created in Garageband for my MIDI in Logic.

thanks guys, I have figured it out. I did not expect to open up any of those synth generators (or whatever you call them) in that manner. Now it's just finding presets that are approximate to the patches I had before. I think I can handle that. Now I have questions about S/PDIF, like how it's transfered & how Logic can receive it. I'll look around, but if all else fails, I'll be back with a new topic.