EXS Presets Missing from the Menu

orcasound

I purchased some drum libraries yesterday that exs presets - so I copied them to my user presets folder - when i opened the EXS in logic to check them out - I refreshed the library via the EXS drop down - and notches that all of my factory presets were suddenly gone… in the EXS drop down i had a list of = of the factory listings….

Acoustic Pianos

Bass

Drums and Percussion,

etc. etc.

Legacy Istruments

Garage Band

and then my user presets folder…

FInder indicates that all of the EXS content is where its supposed to be.

/lib/application/support. etc etc. a

but for some reason, EXS is not seeings them.

I've tried refreshing the library via the EXS Dropdown, Repair permissions via disc utility, booting in safe mode, restarting, shut-down restart …..

I checked the "download additional content" from the logic menu - but all of the content is downloaded.

If I load a channel strip instrument preset from the library - (for ex. african marimba - they all load fine.)

and I don't see an option to load an instrument from the exe drop down

(I've attached an image)

Ive never moved any of the logic content to another drive - it has basically set untouched to where it was originally installed - and again, a very stable setup, never any kind of problem like this.

My user patches always resided at User/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler instruments - and they showed up in the EXS fine - though I read that they should actually be in the User/Music//Audio Music.Apps/Sampler instruments - so i tried moving them there to see if that would somehow make a difference - they still showed up - and worked fine - but still all of those factory listings were gone.

I checked on my mbp and opened logic and the EXS - and they appear as normal…..

and ideas >

LPX 10.0.7 / Mac 2.4 8core / MOTU PCIe

1429364249_ScreenShot2014-05-16at11_39_46PM.thumb.png.97e5565b8024dcc30576e91ece868ff0.png

Are the EXS instrument files in those folders?

You may have a corrupted Spotlight index, the EXS24 uses that index to locate samples. To rebuild that index, open the Spotlight prefpanel, Privacy tab, then drag your disk to it. Close and reopen the panel, then remove your disk again. Withing 30 seconds or so Spotlight should build a new index for that disk, this may take some time (10 minutes to an hour, depending on how much is on the disk).

If the reindexing does not start (which you can check on the Spotlight magnifying glass: it shows a pulsing dot when reindexing), repeat the procedure.

Have you tried trashing prefs?

Also weird that moving those new presets apparently triggered this. Have you tried removing those? Where exactly did you place them?

ps: remember, though the concept may be confusing, that the Audio Music Apps folder and the Users/"you"/Application Support/Logic folder are the same folder (not copies, there is only one folder, but it exists under two names in two places, that's done so you can access it without having to make the User library visible. Just try: anything you'll move into the one, will also appear in the other, the same goes for anything you delete, including the folder itself.)

(About the dot, yes, that's the indication. Also, clicking on the magnifying glass icon would have revealed a progress bar...)

Although upon trying it just now, I actually do not get that dot.... :?

1054493127_pic2014-05-19at09_34_08.PNG.e326e806cbfe5cf9f76065ae3b51cf35.PNG

These were some drum libraries from "That Sound" which had some kits in .exs format. So I copied the actual content to another internal drive on MacPro - (where I have all of my other user exs samples,) and copied the actual presets (.exs) to Users/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments - I later moved them to the Audio Music Apps folder…. but since its an alias… it was a bit redundant. -

I have not tried trashing pref's - Ive never had to do that either (things have been pretty stable for me and my macs..) - which pref file would that be and if I do that…. what exactly will I loose in Logic.?

Should I have run the reindex with Logic open? - also I just did a restart - perhaps I should do a full shutdown…?

These were some drum libraries from "That Sound" which had some kits in .exs format. So I copied the actual content to another internal drive on MacPro - (where I have all of my other user exs samples,) and copied the actual presets (.exs) to Users/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments - I later moved them to the Audio Music Apps folder…. but since its an alias… it was a bit redundant. -

Well, you moved them to the same place, but I think you have done everything " by the book", so I am stumped about this and out of ideas for now...

I have not tried trashing pref's - Ive never had to do that either (things have been pretty stable for me and my macs..) - which pref file would that be and if I do that…. what exactly will I loose in Logic.?

That pref would be com.apple.logic10.plist and com.apple.logic10.plist.lockfile and also com.apple.logic10.cs. You would loose any settings that can be made under the preferences menu in Logic. Well, not loose them, they would revert to default. the .cs file hold Control Surface settings.

What you can do instead of trashing is just moving the prefs out of the folder, then start Logic (it'll create new prefs files). If the problem is gone, then the prefs were somehow to blame/corrupted, if the problem does NOT go away (which I think is more likely), then you can quit Logic and place back the old prefs files.

Should I have run the reindex with Logic open?

No. That index is an OS X thing, not a Logic thing. Logic just uses it.

- also I just did a restart - perhaps I should do a full shutdown…?

Wont hurt to try, You never know.

I really hope maybe Eric or Jordi or David or CCT or anybody else has some insights about this issue...

OK - ao i trashed the prefs - nothing changed. - BUT - I think I am isolating the issue.

So I went into the User/Music/Audio...Sampler Instruments folder and moved my ORCA LIB folder (which is my own user libraries folder) to the trash and restated LOGIC.... WAHLAH... the Factory preset banks, were all back !!!....

Then I closed out of LPX, copied the ORCA LIB folder back to User/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments... and restarted... Boom... the factory patches were no longer listed.

So the issue lies with this USER folder.

Does this precipitate any other ideas ?

SOLVED>!! / So I started ripping my user sample library apart and zoned in on the new drum library I just purchased. Basically I just took the Logic Presets folder as downloaded from the developer and moved to my user library. - BUT inside the folder (as downloaded), the developer incl. a alias folder to "Sampler Instruments" - with another folder labeled "Drag the top 2 folders onpt the alias to install" - The developer was trying to be helpful and create a drag/drop quick install" -

so… it was here….. USER/MUSIC/AUDIO MUSIC APPS/SAMPLER INSTRUMENTS/ORCA LIB/"Offending vendor"/Sampler Instruments (Alias)…. Once this alias was removed… EXS loaded up with the factory library, GB and user libraries….

I think its a good idea for me to ctc the vendor and let them know - that a read me file might be better - and avoid confusion.

kj