Anyone know what this "instrument" is?

I hear this instrument from time to time in Fiona Apple recordings... and sometimes Tom Waits recordings... but I just heard it on this M. Ward cover of a Daniel Johnston song...

happens at 1:25 on the left channel. (maybe a mellotron? but it sounds "backwards"... ??? )

any help would be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like a quick phrase recorded on a hundred year old tape, reversed. Maybe sampling it and reversing it again might reveal some more?

Because of the "tapy" sound, Mellotron is the main suspect though, I agree.

It also sounds a lot like a sound (like at 0'21") on this track:

I hear this instrument from time to time in Fiona Apple recordings... and sometimes Tom Waits recordings... but I just heard it on this M. Ward cover of a Daniel Johnston song...

happens at 1:25 on the left channel. (maybe a mellotron? but it sounds "backwards"... ??? )

any help would be greatly appreciated!

It does sound to me like a reversed recording of someone playing either an arpeggio or a lead line on an electric guitar without much distortion/sustain on it. I know I've heard stuff very much like this before that was done in exactly that fashion.

It sounds like a quick phrase recorded on a hundred year old tape, reversed. Maybe sampling it and reversing it again might reveal some more?

Because of the "tapy" sound, Mellotron is the main suspect though, I agree.

It also sounds a lot like a sound (like at 0'21") on this track:

Right!!

It does sound very much like The Beatles' sound at 0'21". I wish I had that expensive "Recording The Beatles" book now...

http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Beatles-Kevin-Brian-Kehew/dp/0978520009

I'm pretty sure that this 'sound' is precisely the kind of thing that is chronicled in there...

Thanks guys!