EWQL issues with LPX/Mavericks, MBP 17",8GB Ram?

Anyone could provide some insights regarding the EWQL plugins (any) with (limited) system like mine (see my signature for my system specs)?

I was quite impressed with the EWQL sound quality, but real life experience reports from real users would be greatly appreciated, before I plunge!

Thanx in advance!

You will be able to get away with the earlier libraries fine with 8GB of RAM but if you are aiming for the Hollywood Series you're really going to need 16GB at least to really make a full piece.

A single legato patch for the Hollywood series is anywhere between 300MB and 1GB of RAM

Also, with a Core2Duo that might also make the Hollywood series near unusuable

Which ones were you looking at?

I own Hollywood Strings and Brass Diamond, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Choirs w/ the expansion, Stormdrum 2 Pro, Stormdrum 3, RA, Voices of Passion, and Pianos Platinum so I can give more expertise in answering questions about those

Also what is your computer's model ID?

Apple > About this Mac > More Info > System Report and you will see a line for "Model Identifier" Should read something like "Macbook Pro 8,2"

Depending on the model you might be able to upgrade the RAM

EWQL sound libraries sound really good. Not sure what you're going for, but as was mentioned, the Hollywood series is going to be too much for your system. You could probably handle SO Gold, which is a nice sounding, complete Orchestral library.

The one thing to note is Play has been known to be buggy. I've had a few issues with it over the years. However, it is currently stable for me with LPX and Mavericks. Others haven't been so lucky.

e is Play has been known to be buggy. I've had a few issues with it over the years. However, it is currently stable for me with LPX and Mavericks. Others haven't been so lucky.

It seems to be a hit and miss; some people have lots of problems and some don't. For me, Play 3.0.47 was solid as hell but I had to upgrade to Play 4 for Stormdrum 3 which is still solid.

The only problem I currently have with Play 4.1.18 and Logic 10.0.7 is that if I play something right as a patch is finishing loading/switching GUIs it will cause Logic to crash.

You will be able to get away with the earlier libraries fine with 8GB of RAM but if you are aiming for the Hollywood Series you're really going to need 16GB at least to really make a full piece.

A single legato patch for the Hollywood series is anywhere between 300MB and 1GB of RAM

Also, with a Core2Duo that might also make the Hollywood series near unusuable

Which ones were you looking at?

I own Hollywood Strings and Brass Diamond, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Choirs w/ the expansion, Stormdrum 2 Pro, Stormdrum 3, RA, Voices of Passion, and Pianos Platinum so I can give more expertise in answering questions about those

Also what is your computer's model ID?

Apple > About this Mac > More Info > System Report and you will see a line for "Model Identifier" Should read something like "Macbook Pro 8,2"

Depending on the model you might be able to upgrade the RAM

Thanx for your enlighted advise...

I was hoping to take advantage of their rebate on the Complete Composers Collection 2, which includes the Hollywood Gold series.

So I guess that I am not part of that league (yet)... Even though they advertise that I would meet the minimal requirements.

My MBP is a late 2009 - 17" model. RAM have been maxed (8GB) already at the factory, and I upgraded the internal (system) HD for a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD drive (which by the way is a real boost!).

What about Symphonic Choirs Platinum w/ the expansion?

----------------

EWQL sound libraries sound really good. Not sure what you're going for, but as was mentioned, the Hollywood series is going to be too much for your system. You could probably handle SO Gold, which is a nice sounding, complete Orchestral library.

The one thing to note is Play has been known to be buggy. I've had a few issues with it over the years. However, it is currently stable for me with LPX and Mavericks. Others haven't been so lucky.

Thanx for your input!

As mentioned above I was aiming too high for s system like mine.

How would compare SO Gold to the Kontakt Komplete orchestral sample library?

Play seems to be problematic with Logic... I was in the impression that LPX 10.0.7 had made some progress in that regard...

----------------

I agree with pretty much everything C4L88 wrote.

Thanx!

Well I should put it this way with the Hollywood library:

You just won't be able to get the full use of it. You will have to choose maybe one or two key patches (say a light violin legato patch and light solo horn legato patch) and supplement the rest with Symphonic Orchestra. You just probably won't be able to get away with a full orchestration of the Hollywood libraries unless you are using the lightest patches you can

Complete Composers Collection is a FANTASTIC deal that I wish they had back when I first started buying EWQL libraries :( ...now I own enough to make it easier to just buy them separately

So can you still make use of the library? Sure, but it will take a lot of awareness and management of RAM.

Now for the end product of a song you can use the big powerful patches but it would be a long process:

-Make a single track the big powerful patch

-Bounce that track to audio

-Remove the the powerful patch

-Move onto another track and repeat

So if you don't mind following that long process you can compose on light patches, mix and master on the giant patches (which offer HUGE dynamic range: lightest patch is 3 layers, largest is 13 :shock: )

Symphonic Choirs should work fine. The wordbuilder patches might start getting a little heavy because obviously the technology used to do that is pretty crazy, but should still work. I used to be on 8GB until I upgraded and everything was fine.

As far as Play stability, I have only one issue and that is that Logic will crash if I hit a note right as a patch in Play is finishing loading a patch. Other than that I have run into absolutely zero problems. I recommend joining the soundsonline forum (for EWQL products). The support page there is way more helpful than trying to directly contact support because you will get much faster responses plus help from admins and users.