Maybe dumb question about loops

hdrift

Fairly new to Logic. Please don't beat me up.

I've downloaded all the extra loops, bought some from Loopmasters etc, but already getting bored with even the best ones. (esp the synth hooks)

I've got some fave loops that would be great if I could tweak or change them.

Is there 'any' way to take an apple loop (say an 16 bar synth) and get it to run through another instrument filter (organ, guitar, whatever) or play with it in arpeggiator or the other bus etc?

When I convert to midi I lose everything - end up with just the notes. Flavor is lost and sounds like I'm playing Donkey Kong. ;)

Also - if I use the typing keyboard to create my own midi - then yes, I can use arpeggiator to mess around creatively with it - but how do you 'save' what arpeggiator is playing for you?

Huge thanks for any advice.

Please abide to Board rule #5, so we could help you more acurately.

Fairly new to Logic. Please don't beat me up.

I've downloaded all the extra loops, bought some from Loopmasters etc, but already getting bored with even the best ones. (esp the synth hooks)

I've got some fave loops that would be great if I could tweak or change them.

Is there 'any' way to take an apple loop (say an 16 bar synth) and get it to run through another instrument filter (organ, guitar, whatever) or play with it in arpeggiator or the other bus etc?

There are two types of loops. Audio and MIDI. The MIDI type is the one to look for. You have to realize that a performance will render different result depending of the instrument it is playback on. Velocity, legatos, etc are various factors that will likely need to be tweaked to obtain the sought result. Logic offers a slew of parameters to fiddle with in each instruments and effects or on the tracks or mixer for creative or experimental purposes.

When I convert to midi I lose everything - end up with just the notes. Flavor is lost and sounds like I'm playing Donkey Kong. ;)

Converting audio to MIDI works mostly (ifnot solely) for monophonic dry material with little harmonic content. And would definitely requires more tweaking.

Also - if I use the typing keyboard to create my own midi - then yes, I can use arpeggiator to mess around creatively with it - but how do you 'save' what arpeggiator is playing for you?

To render the MIDI notes created by an arpegiator (in real time), you have to set up a MIDI routing that will send the played notes by the arpegiator to an external MIDI ouput track and re-enter it either via an IAC bus or via the Environment.

Huge thanks for any advice.

You're welcome!

Depends, on what kind of Apple Loop you've selected.

Green Apple Loops, have two components, MIDI, and audio.

If you drag and Drop in the main window, without creating a track.

A software instrument channel strip is created, possibly a few effects may be applied, the midi data triggers the instrument.

Drop onto an open software instrument track, the midi data will trigger the instrument in that track.

Dropping on an audio track, reveals the audio component, a blue audio Apple Loop.

Yes, you can alter and add any region to the Loop Library.( control + click on the region will reveal a dropdown menu)

You are creating a green Apple Loop when you add a region from a software instrument track, to the loop library.

Any midi effects or audio processing, will be included in the channel strip.

8)